fallentears1986
powder and ready feed formula
October 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I have a question, well sort of. At the hospital I delivered at they put my baby girl on similac advance with iron ready to feed (which I was totally ok with). Well when I got home I switched her over to powder similac of the same kind. Well after feeding her this about a day I notiched constipation in her. Well my dad said to change her back over to the ready feed because it is homogenized and may cure the constipation. Well I tried it and she is back to normal poopys. Why would the powder stuff clog up her bowels? has anyone else had this happen? is my dad right? She is only a week and 5 days old could this have something to do with it? I just thought it was weird cause I though there was no difference in the two. I was just curious and plan to bring it up at my next pedia appt.

Replies

• isaboo22
    October 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM

I did the same with my girls and noticed no changes, But you do have to remember, what they get in the hospital is the first real food they get in life...so their newborn bodies adjust  to that. I would just wait a while longer and try the powder again and see what happens. Or another thing is try a low iron formula -- I have hear that too much iron can constipate a new born also.

• GmansMomy
    October 7, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    i have no idea. my daughter was on a bunch of different formulas for her reflux and ended up on ready to feed formula.
  • 2008mama
    October 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM

my daughter did the exact same thing but after a little bit it straightened out that and i had to switch her to senstive because she was spitting up soo bad with the advance iron

• mom2ljh
    by mom2ljh
    October 7, 2008 at 8:00 PM

The low iron formulas have been taken off the market because the lack of iron is dangerous to developing children. 

Quoting isaboo22:

I did the same with my girls and noticed no changes, But you do have to remember, what they get in the hospital is the first real food they get in life...so their newborn bodies adjust  to that. I would just wait a while longer and try the powder again and see what happens. Or another thing is try a low iron formula -- I have hear that too much iron can constipate a new born also.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts