Babies

KayleesMom2008
Anyone have any advice?
September 4, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I have posted this in like 3 other groups and no body has replied at all. My daughter is 4 months old and does not want to nap. she rears back, grabs my face, screams as loud as she can and will not go to sleep. I rock her, sing to her, anything that i can think of. she is so tired yet she just won't go to sleep. does anyone have ANY advice???? please help me!!!!

Replies

• Kittismama
    September 4, 2008 at 12:55 PM

My daughter would only nap at that age in her swing watching country music videos.  As hard as it can be you may just have to find what works for her...and don't worry about her being harmed by you letting her sleep her way at this point.  My daughter now is two and I put her in her crib at noon daily, she plays happily then naps when she is ready before waking up and playing some more then calls me.  Each child needs what works for them, what does she seem to enjoy?  Does she seem to respond to a certain type of music or a specific seat or carrier?  It can take some time but there is most likely something that she will like and will work.

• MyaSimonesMom
    September 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM

My idea on the whole situation and is with my Daughter too that I am the parent and I CANNOT let her decide when it is nap or bedtime.  I have tried to go with this since she was 8 weeks old and it has seemed to work.  Don't get me wrong there are times when she lays in her bed for up to an hour trying to go to sleep.  But she does go to sleep.  It may seem harsh but I would just lay her down.  If she cries for more than 5 minutes go in give her a kiss and tuck her back in and tell her that it is bedtime or naptiime.   Ever since I have committed to this, when I lay my daughter down she rolls over on her side, sticks her thumb in her mouth and she is out like a light. 

• KayleesMom2008
    September 4, 2008 at 12:59 PM

i hate to do that but i have been thinking about it. i just don't know what else to do. now when you go in there to you try and comfort her or just let her keep crying?

• MyaSimonesMom
    September 4, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I comfort her, for sure.  But I do not stay in there for a prolonged admount of time.  Just enough to let her know that I am here, she is not alone and when she cries she will be OK but it is time for a nap. 

• Rebekah_Enzley
    September 4, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Also you might try putting a fan or calm music on in her room. To drown out the noise from outside her room. I would put the fan or calm music right by her bed. Maybe try some classical music. Could she be to cold or to hot. I know you have probably tried everything but don't give up it will get better! I could not let my son cry it out but I wish I had b/c my life would have been a whole lot easier. It might take awhile so don't get discouraged, and she will cry a lot for a long time! Hope this helped. Good luck.

• WeeNas_Mommy
    September 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM

When it would come to nap time my daughter use to be the same way. But if you start naps, keep the time consistant.

My daughter takes 2 naps a day... one early around 11-12 and another one from 6-7 it is usually about an hr nap each time. Anyways.. her routine is we give her juice sippy cup and let her drink that about 30 min before nap time..so she won't have to lay down with a bottle. Then I tell her it's Night Night time.. and I turn on a Childrens Classical CD and put it on repeat to calm her down and get her sleepy. Kiss her and tell her I love her..and to take a nap.. she's tired... *I actually think she understands what I"m saying...lol* and give her a binkie...cover her with a blankey and give her her bed buddy Mr. Bear...close the door and leave her alone. Sometimes she'll try to cry but as mean as it sounds.. I leave her alone and let her cry... that way she knows mommy isn't going to get me..and I need to sleep. It's hard at first cause your natural instinct is to comfort your baby.. but they need to learn how to sleep...and that's what my pedi told me to do. Crying is good for them and to help develope their lungs better. lol Good Luck

• annettenikole
    September 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM

My dd had a very hard time napping and going to bed at night!  Just didn't want to miss out on anything!  She finally started to turn around after we read this book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weisbluth.  It really goes into fixing sleep problems.  The problem with mine (and yours too I think) is that as they get overtired they have a very hard time falling and staying asleep.  So you need to catch them at the perfect time.  It also goes into how to time naps and bed time!  I suggest you read it! 

also, my baby got better, then always had some really bad weeks off and on after we read the book... but I was still nursing her to sleep.  Once I started putting her to sleep on her own she has had a huge improvement in her sleep habits!  If you have problems with the cry it out method (or even gradual release method) then I suggest you read this post on google answers... the first response has tons of research that is commonly used for and against cry it out : http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/774928.html

I know mine is breastfed, so I couldn't have let her cry at night at four months because she was still waking in eat in the middle of the night... but it depends on you and your baby.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts