Babies

Featured Posts
MaryElizabeth82
She keeps gagging herself!
August 29, 2008 at 9:35 PM

My daughter is 3 months old, and now that she's discovered her hands, she can't keep them out of her mouth.  Because she keeps sticking her hand in her mouth, she often winds up gagging herself.  Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, and if it's something to be concerned about.

Replies

• jaesproudmommy
    August 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

LOL my daughter is 5 months and has been gagging herself for months now...I think it's funny b/c she keeps doing it! I don't see any harm in it:)

• jadekat75
    August 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM

My daughter started with a fake cough to get attention. When she thought it wasn't getting enough attention she upgraded to the gagging. That started when she was about 12 months old. It scared me the first time because we were in the car together and I didn't know what was going on. I thought she was choking. When I looked back at her, she got this big smile and stopped doing it only to start again when she wanted more attention. Gag = attention in her mind.

• WeeNas_Mommy
    August 31, 2008 at 2:03 AM

OMG!! My daughter will be 18mo in a couple weeks..and since she was 2months..she's been doing this. I hate it when she does that..cause it makes me think she's choking on something.. but I think she does it cause I tell her not too (trying stage) ..she's at the "Trying" stage to see what her limits are.. lol So I pretend she's pointing at her mouth and then I redirect her hand to her nose, eyes...and distract her that way..and she stops. lol.. Rugrat! lol But yeah.. my Lena does it too.

• WeeNas_Mommy
    August 31, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Yeah usually laugh cause she thinks it's funny.. lol.. but we tease her too about wanting to be skinny...lol and "throwing up isn't allowed" lol.. she just giggles

Quoting bluejupiter13:

My DD is 10 months old and actually just started doing this.  I call her bulemia baby.  I don't think it will hurt anything.  It just sounds gross.

• WeeNas_Mommy
    August 31, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Mines still pretends to cough.. lol so I cough with her...then the coughs turn to YELLING contests..lol.. silly baby

Quoting jadekat75:

My daughter started with a fake cough to get attention. When she thought it wasn't getting enough attention she upgraded to the gagging. That started when she was about 12 months old. It scared me the first time because we were in the car together and I didn't know what was going on. I thought she was choking. When I looked back at her, she got this big smile and stopped doing it only to start again when she wanted more attention. Gag = attention in her mind.

• Sammys.mom
    September 1, 2008 at 11:01 AM

My DD is 23 mos. old and has always done this. She's not as into it so much now (although she still does do it on occasion). Nothing you can do about it, they love their hands in their mouth. I used to just try to take her hand(s) out when she did it, but she would still do it at times.

Just something we gotta live with and they grow out of it eventually. I don't believe it's going to harm her any. My DD is still healthy and all.

• MaryElizabeth82
    September 1, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the reassurances.  I thought it was so funny reading about the fake coughing.  I think she's doing this, too.  My husband actually said to me, "it almost sonds like she's doing it on purpose."  His conclusion was that she was doing it for attention, too.  LOL.

• shmorris56
    September 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM

My 10 month old is gagging herself now.  I think it was an exploration to start with, but it has gotten so she likes the reaction she gets from me and her Dad.  She gags until she pukes so we stop her from doing it, but now she just does it so we'll stop her!  I hope your baby is too young to do it for attention.  What a pain!

• Surromom99
    September 2, 2008 at 2:31 PM

LOL~ my daughter is 3.5 months old and is doing THE SAME THING! 

Our children have discovered that they have hands and are learning their eye and hand coordination by putting thier hands in their mouths at will.

Nothing to be concerned about...I'm currently fighting her when I nurse her....she still wants her hands in her mouth when trying to eat!  Then she gets upset cause she can't get any milk!  LOL

Madison can actually make herself throw-up if her tummy is full when she sucks on her hands....but I'm still not worried as this doesn't happen all the time.

I currently have a 14 yr old son too...so been through this before.

Good luck & don't stress unless she's loosing body weight due to this...then contact your doc!

Juliet

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts