Babies

Featured Posts
DEansmomma2017
A/R FORMULA AND CONSTIPATION
December 7 at 7:55 AM

Good Morning Moms!

My son was diagnosed with acid reflux at 8 weeks and was switched to Enfamil AR formula from Similac Advance. He recently was put on ranitidine 2ml twice daily and his spit up has decreased but he gets constipated and gassy. Since the switch he doesn't sleep well through the night and also developed a little eczema (not sure if related to formula). We've tried switching to a gentle formula and adding rice cereal but that made the constipation worse. He gots soothe probiotic drops everyday but is there anything else I can do to help with his constipation or a formula you suggest for acid reflux? He is 14 weeks old.

Replies

• MusherMaggie
    December 7 at 12:03 PM
    Would relactation be a possibility? Or donor breastmilk? How was the reflux diagnosed? Was he scoped, or diagnosed on symptoms only?

Oftentimes the method, rather than the substance being fed causes excessive spit-up. When bottlefeeding, use the slowest flow nipple possible, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows his brain to register that his tummy is full and prevents overfeeding. Small, frequent feedings are better digested than large ones.
  • KylersMom8-16-7
    December 7 at 3:19 PM
    Unfortunately rice is constipating, which is what's in the formula to help with the reflux.

This might be helpful too.

http://www.reflux.org.au/information/common-myths-about-reflux-in-children/

Quoting DEansmomma2017:

Good Morning Moms!

My son was diagnosed with acid reflux at 8 weeks and was switched to Enfamil AR formula from Similac Advance. He recently was put on ranitidine 2ml twice daily and his spit up has decreased but he gets constipated and gassy. Since the switch he doesn't sleep well through the night and also developed a little eczema (not sure if related to formula). We've tried switching to a gentle formula and adding rice cereal but that made the constipation worse. He gots soothe probiotic drops everyday but is there anything else I can do to help with his constipation or a formula you suggest for acid reflux? He is 14 weeks old.

• kidmom581
    Saturday at 1:24 PM
    Zantac did the same thing with my baby who got constipated for the whole two weeks. I was recommended Babies magic tea by my little one's pediatrician, and it was a saving grace. This does wonder for his tummy relieving him from reflux and constipation.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts