Babygurl2409
is it to young?
March 28 at 10:02 AM
is 4 months to young to start baby on rice cereal? what are the advantages of getting them started in rice cereal?

Replies

• Mom2Just1
    March 28 at 10:11 AM

No advantages. It is processed food for babies.  6 months is min for solids.  Cereal just sits in theri bellies because they can't process it at all before a year.

• JadeTigr7
    March 28 at 10:21 AM

4 months is too young.

There are no advantages to cereal or purees.  

When baby is a min of 6 months, can sit unassisted, has a pincer's grasp and has lost tongue thrust skip the baby food and just start giving baby some of your dinner that they can feed themselves.

Purees just teach baby to swallow without chewing. 

• Babygurl2409
    March 28 at 10:24 AM
    I read an article for gerber babies and they said that 4 months was a good age to start and gerber is pretty well known but I thought I would ask on here as well
  • JessiFaye
    March 28 at 10:38 AM

I don't plan on giving my son cereal at all. There is no advantage to it. I know people who started it around four months (or earlier) because it makes babies sleep for longer periods. But that's because their stomachs can't process it, so it just sits there. :\

• expectantmom81
    March 28 at 10:40 AM
    Yes unless the doctor says otherwise. I had to add it to my son's bottle at 3 months but that was because his reflux was so bad he was losing weight from spring up and he wanted to thicken the formula.
  • KylersMom8-16-7
    March 28 at 10:42 AM
    The issue is that Gerber wants your money and don't care about the potential harm to your child. Medical professionals who actually follow current guidelines will say not before 6 months. Research shows that rice cereal is not nutritionally beneficial at all.

Quoting Babygurl2409: I read an article for gerber babies and they said that 4 months was a good age to start and gerber is pretty well known but I thought I would ask on here as well
  • Mom2Just1
    March 28 at 11:31 AM

Consider the source...they want your money.  It is no different than a formula company trying to convince you that their product is better than breastmilk. THey can't make money off breastmilk.  

Quoting Babygurl2409: I read an article for gerber babies and they said that 4 months was a good age to start and gerber is pretty well known but I thought I would ask on here as well

• la_bella_vita
    March 28 at 12:06 PM

I never started them that young and many people are against rice cereal, my pediatrician actually told me NOT to use it. I just gave them food we were eating starting at 6 months

• m.garcia21
    March 28 at 1:00 PM
    Ask your ped
  • cabrandy03
    March 28 at 1:08 PM
    My pedi told us although you'll find people who still say it's okay to start at 4 months, recent research suggests babies tummies just aren't ready until around 6 months. It's better to wait IMO.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts