Babies

Featured Posts
m0mmyheather
Desperately need help with 10 month old and sleeping!
November 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My daughter is 10, almost 11 months old. From day one, she wouldn't sleep in her crib or bassinet. She was waking up every hour, sometimes even every 40 minutes. This continued for the first couple months. Finally, I was so exhausted that I started putting her in bed with us because I could lay down and give her a bottle and because she would sleep two or three hours instead of 45 freaking minutes.
At nearly 11 months old, it takes us HOURS to get her to sleep. She won't sleep on her own, and even when we lay down with her, it's a struggle even when she's clearly tired. She sleeps very lightly so moving her to her crib is also a nearly impossible task. Even when we do get her to sleep, she wakes up multiple times in the night and refuses to fall back asleep in the crib.
We have tried every single tip the doctor has given us. We've put her in there to play (which never works out because she refuses to play alone for even 5 minutes at a time, ever), we've tried laying her down drowsy and letting her cry for short periods of time then coming in and putting our hand her chest and all of that. It doesn't help. She just cries and cries and instantly becomes hysterical.
We've even tried letting her cry it out, but it doesn't ever stop. I'm convinced she would cry literally the entire night if we didn't intervene. We've stuck with all of this advice for weeks and we haven't ever seen any improvement. If anything, it's worse.
She also, as I stated before, refuses to play alone. She didn't start rolling over until 4-5 months and crawling until 7-9 months because she would never let us put her down. Early on, she would scream even if you sat next to her. Now the only way she plays is if you sit right beside her. I can't get her to play for even five minutes.

What can I do?! I'm not a stay at home mom. I have to get up for work in the morning, and I come home exhausted and can't get even 10 minutes to myself. It's exhausting, and I feel like she's getting too old to be as demanding as she is. It has to stop.

Replies

• grammieann
    November 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry.  One of my children was a lot like that, and I remember being sooo exhausted!

I wonder - how does your little one do while you're at work?  Does she nap, and is her daycare provider able to put her down?  Here's a little article that mentions separation anxiety as a possible factor (among others).  Might be worth discussing with your doctor.

Hang in there, sweetie.  My "baby" who never slept is in his 20s now and has noooo problem sleeping!

((Hugs))

• mrskandi
    November 7, 2013 at 4:16 AM

I had the same problem with my dd ,when she was that age ,nothing would work ,she would wake up ,very light sleeper .It got to the point were I was so tired that I needed to do something about it .I talked with my friend whos baby did the same thing .I went and rearranged my room ,and bought her a toddler bed ,I put it up against the ,then placed my bed next to it .I slowly started her at nap time putting her in the big girl bed ,then I would lay in my bed and place her in her bed and I would have my hand on her back ,after a week of doing this she was sleeping through the night.She hated her crib ,she hated my bed ,but after a while she loved her bed .

• rebirthfreedom
    November 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    this sounds like my daughter. I've had to sleep with her a lot and some nights are a lot better than others. We finally got this blanket that she is totally attached too. And now that she's almost 1 (in 4 days) I give her a book to look at. She also has her little fishy tank she likes to stare at. Some things I've also done: cry it out, swaddle, co sleep (which makes me even more exhausted cause I don't sleep the same) rock, bump, read to, established good routine, gave a bath, lavender lotion, singing.. What I found the most helpful.. finding the right time. To early or to late and the whole night is doomed.. Make sure she isn't teething or have an ear ache. My girl has had 2 separate ear aches with no other signs than crying all night. Teething will do it too. (tylenol helps) For you: ask dad or gramma to come help after work or the weekend so you can catch up on zz's or just do something to refresh you. Momma needs to restore here and there to keep moving. Good luck

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts