Babies

Featured Posts
lostosbourne
Birth Customs
August 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I have always been fascinated with other cultures esp when it come to birth and babies. I love to find out different ways babies are brought into this world and celebrated. I think its pretty interesting. Like in Ghana they bury the placenta and in Indonesia the mother is massaged daily for the first 90 days. In some cultures the mother must jump over the baby a certain amount of times and then relatives scream at the baby and shake it on a tray. Still other cultures seclude the mother and baby for 30 or 40 days and then the baby comes out and is introduced to the family. Another culture immediately puts a piece of jewelry on the baby that has a red stone in it to ward off evil spirits. 

Does your family have any birth customs or traditions? Did you follow those customs and traditions? What do you think of them? 

Replies

• cali_angel_girl
    Amy
    August 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Those are interesting! we don't have any in our family.

• ballerina.2006
    August 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Cool!

My brought all 5 of us home in the same outfit. I brought my 3 kids home in the exact same outfit. My siblings will have the optio to do it as well as my mom keeps this outfit for safe keeping :)
  • lauratupper
    August 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    They are!

Quoting cali_angel_girl:

Those are interesting! we don't have any in our family.

• la_bella_vita
    August 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Interesting, no none in my family

• lostosbourne
    August 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Thats very cool. We have a Christening gown that was bought for my Mother by her Grandmother and every single baby in our family since then has worn it. We also all slept in the same bassinet. My children and all my nieces and nephews, everyone. My Mom keeps both of these at her home and they are lovingly packed away until the next baby comes along. 

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Cool!

My brought all 5 of us home in the same outfit. I brought my 3 kids home in the exact same outfit. My siblings will have the optio to do it as well as my mom keeps this outfit for safe keeping :)

• Dragonmamas
    Ari
    August 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Interesting! Nothing out of the norm here though:)

• poeticrose09
    August 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    For some reason dh grandmother said to not let the umbilical cord stump not hit the ground when it fell off and to burn it
  • lostosbourne
    September 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

CHINESE CONFINEMENT

Called 'zuo yue' (or 'sitting out the month'), this traditional confinement for a 30 to 40 day period is practised even among communities outside of China. The purpose is to protect the new mother from 'wind' or 'yin' which, supporters believe, can weaken the body and leave it vulnerable to ailments. 

The new mother is not supposed to leave the house or be exposed to open windows, air conditioners or fans. She also can't shower or wash her hair (to prevent exposure to the cold).
  • lostosbourne
    September 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

VIETNAM THE MOTHER-IN-LAW MOVES IN

Vietnamese women also often follow the Chinese confinement custom, but another bonus after birth is that the mother-in-law moves in for the month and helps out. She also takes care of the special menu of stews and soups made from traditional Chinese medicinal 'heaty' ingredients like ginger and sesame oil.
  • lostosbourne
    September 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

THE IRISH SPRINKLE CAKE ON THE CHILD'S HEAD

A symbol of the circle of life, a popular Irish tradition is to use the parents' wedding cake to 'wet' the baby's head at its christening. The top tier of the good luck 'fertility' whiskey fruit cake is saved for the birth of the couple's first child. At the christening, crumbs are sprinkled on the child's head in celebration of a long life, while the rest of the tier is served to the guests.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN