Babies

Featured Posts
Loveavision
5 week old has bowel problems. Advice?
May 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Carter seems to get pretty backed up at least once or twice a week. He typically only has one big poop a day anyway, and I can tell he's extremely uncomfortable when he doesn't go. I've had him to the pedi literally 4 times already trying to get advice, but they aren't concerned. It's one of those "well, I know my baby better and the doctor is wrong" things.

I've tried gripe water, and taking his temp rectally to loosen him up, nothing is working this time. I haven't used suppositories though /:

Replies

• armyvet06
    May 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    try some Karo syrup in his bottle if he is bottle fed.
  • Loveavision
    May 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    Okay, thank you.
  • Amberleigh81
    May 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Karo syrup is like honey. It can carry botulism and cause your baby to get really sick.

Is your baby breastfed or formula-fed?

At five weeks, baby's digestive systems are still REALLY immature. Babies look like they are in pain from gas or bowel movements, but it is actually normal. The best thing to do is to move your baby. Bicycle legs or do the "I love you" message of the tummy. (I am sure there is a YouTube video of it.)

Whatever you do, DO NOT feed your baby anything other than breastmilk or formula. Fruit juice, water, Karo syrup... All of these things will be suggested to you. Your baby's digestive system is too immature to handle these things yet. It will make things worse.

This IS normal. It hurts to watch your baby be uncomfortable, but it will go away as your baby matures. In a few weeks, you won't have these issues, even if you do nothing.

Quoting Loveavision:

Okay, thank you.
  • Loveavision
    May 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    We've been bicycling his legs.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Karo syrup is like honey. It can carry botulism and cause your baby to get really sick.

Is your baby breastfed or formula-fed?

At five weeks, baby's digestive systems are still REALLY immature. Babies look like they are in pain from gas or bowel movements, but it is actually normal. The best thing to do is to move your baby. Bicycle legs or do the "I love you" message of the tummy. (I am sure there is a YouTube video of it.)

Whatever you do, DO NOT feed your baby anything other than breastmilk or formula. Fruit juice, water, Karo syrup... All of these things will be suggested to you. Your baby's digestive system is too immature to handle these things yet. It will make things worse.

This IS normal. It hurts to watch your baby be uncomfortable, but it will go away as your baby matures. In a few weeks, you won't have these issues, even if you do nothing.

Quoting Loveavision:

Okay, thank you.

• Lillysmommy0113
    May 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

if you use formula have you tried soy or something with out cows milk? if you BF have you cut milk out of your diet?

my dd was the same way and she has a cow milk allergy.

• SteffM0501
    May 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My four-week-old has the same problem. Aubrey had regular bowel movements the first two weeks we were home and then BAM tummy troubles galore. She practically shrieks whenever she has gas or needs to poop. Her doctor assures us that she is fine but it doesn't make me feel any better, especially when it's 2 AM and Aubrey' s screaming in pain. It kills me to hear that "pain" cry. We've tried modifying my diet (we're breastfeeding), gas drops, bicycling her legs, bouncing, warm compresses on her tummy...etc. so far nothing has really helped, it may just be something she has to grow out of. 

- Steff

• princessputter
    May 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Quoting armyvet06:

try some Karo syrup in his bottle if he is bottle fed.

do not do this...

• emkirkley
    May 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

is it hard, dry, tearin him? if not, I agree with the doctor.  are you nursing or formula feeding?

• KylersMom8-16-7
    May 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Breastfeeding or formula?
  • hollinicole
    May 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    Try giving small amount of water through out the day. DD had problems as well and the doctor said to put an oz. Of water in a bottle and give it through out the day not in one sitting. Also the warm rag or water on the bottom. Good luck I hope it gets better.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts