Babies

mamapajero
Stop Breast Feeding
May 27, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Hello. My baby is 18 months old and i would like to stop breast feeding...any ideas on how to approach this

Replies

• bad_mama2011
    May 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I had to go cold turkey with my oldest at 2.

• summerbear
    May 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    No help here, my son will be 2 in two months and he still wants to nurse. It doesn't help that we have a 2 week old newborn in the house... I have always let my kids self-wean but this boy is nuts! Lol

My girls were done nursing before they turned 1.
  • preacherskid
    May 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Best way is to drop one feeding per week, starting with the one baby is least attached to.  A gradual weaning like that keeps you from developing blocked ducts or mastitis.

• illinoismommy83
    May 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM

We just stopped cold turkey. Not the best way, but its quick. 

• lauratupper
    May 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM

bump!

• Raeann11
    May 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I have always waited till my weaned. But I know the best way is to slowly cut out a feeding. Start with one that baby does not need as much. Sometimes it may take a day or two or a week to get use to that feeding being gone. Really depends on the child and how much the really want that one.

• emkirkley
    May 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

how many times a day do you still nurse? Mine weaned fairly well on her own at 20 months, average age to self wean is between 24 and 30 months for most kids.

• KylersMom8-16-7
    May 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    This!

Quoting preacherskid:

Best way is to drop one feeding per week, starting with the one baby is least attached to.  A gradual weaning like that keeps you from developing blocked ducts or mastitis.

• Turtledoves
    May 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Drop one feeding per week. Good luck though, I'm trying to wean my 23 month old (I'm pregnant and it's absolutely killing me!) but she's so reluctant that it's a constant battle. I feel bad for weaning her before she's ready, but I've been having problems for two months now! (DD was nursing 6-8 times even at 21 months old, I dropped her down to 4, and then 3. We're struggling with dropping down to 2)

• brittany208
    May 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I gradually replaced breastfeedings with bottle feedings, then gradually switched the bottles from pumped breastmilk to whole milk (I mixed them and gradually upped the ratio). worked really easily for us.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts