Babies

kss12
Time out?
by kss12
May 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM
A friend was over yesterday and my ds is very clingy, especially when there are new people in the house that he's not used to. He's 14 months and she said when her ds was that age she'd put him in time out. That's the first I've ever heard a 14 month old being in time out. Thoughts??

Replies

• Ninjabubble
    May 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    She put him in time out for being clingy? Is that what Im reading? It's early so my brain isn't quite working yet!
  • kss12
    by kss12
    May 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Yeah. My ds was kind of whining if I wasn't holding him, so she said to put him in time out because that's what she did with her ds

Quoting Ninjabubble:

She put him in time out for being clingy? Is that what Im reading? It's early so my brain isn't quite working yet!

• sahmw2010
    May 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    Being whinny/clingy is NOT a reason for a time out. Yea if he kept constantly hitting or throwing toys after repeatedly talking to them about why its not nice, then yes removing them for a period of tine sure. 1 min per year is what i do.
  • Mandamom1
    May 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM

for being clingy? no not a good reason

• kss12
    by kss12
    May 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    I mean at 14 months.. Is time out even an option? I've never ever thought about time out for him ever.

Quoting Mandamom1:

• kss12
    by kss12
    May 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    At 14 months? He can barely sit still on our lap. I've just never thought about time out for him

Quoting sahmw2010:

Being whinny/clingy is NOT a reason for a time out. Yea if he kept constantly hitting or throwing toys after repeatedly talking to them about why its not nice, then yes removing them for a period of tine sure. 1 min per year is what i do.

• Mandamom1
    May 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM

There should be discipline if he is doing something wrong like hitting etc. You just have to choose what works for you

Quoting kss12:

I mean at 14 months.. Is time out even an option? I've never ever thought about time out for him ever.

Quoting Mandamom1:

• kss12
    by kss12
    May 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Yeah, we haven't reached that yet thank god. He's still a sweet baby.. Not too toddler like yet :) I just never thought of doing time out.. I was in aw when she said it. I must have looked at her with a weird face because she asked me if I was ok. Lol

Quoting Mandamom1:

There should be discipline if he is doing something wrong like hitting etc. You just have to choose what works for you

Quoting kss12:

Quoting Mandamom1:

• slransde
    May 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    We did time outs at that age...not for such a silly reason though
  • sahmw2010
    May 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    I said remove him from the situation. take him to another room away from the toys hes throwing or person he is hitting for an amount of time after u have told him that is not nice behavior. I dont expect a 14 month old to stand in a corner or sit in a chair. But they can still be in a "time out" by simply being put in another room for a length of time. At 14 months i would say 1 minute, 24 months 2 minutes and so on

Quoting kss12:

At 14 months? He can barely sit still on our lap. I've just never thought about time out for him

Quoting sahmw2010:

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts