SweetEvangeline
Can I give her Tylenol AND Zyrtec?
April 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My 7 month old has been very sickly. I took her to the doctor yesterday because she was coughing, gagging, and refusing to nurse He could not find a thing wrong with her and told me to get her a humidifier and some Zyrtec. This morning I gave her the Zyrtec(which it says on the box to give once a day).

She has been crying, coughing, sneezing, diahrrea, and has a 100.3 degree temp(under the arm) She feels very warm and just is not her usual smiling, happy self. She has been nursing and playing with her toys this afternoon, but still feels warm. Would it be ok to give her Tylenol, even though she had her Zyrtec for the day? Will tylenol help the fever come down? Also, should I give her some water or juice?

I called the doctor and he said that he thinks it's just a bug and he will see her tomorrow if it's not cleared up. I forgot to ask those questions. >.< 

Replies

• rockinmomto2
    April 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Zyrtec and tylenol do two different things, so yes. However, I personally wouldn't give tylenol for that low of a fever. If she's nursing fine today, I'd just continue to nurse and monitor the fever. I usually only give meds for a fever if it's over 101.

• proud_mommy1212
    April 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Since she's had Zyrtec for the day she cant have it again until tomorrow, my son has really bad allergies so we have to give him zyrtec daily. When was the last time she's had any tylenol? Also, has you doctor looked into getting her on some type of congestion meds? it might help clean all that up, we put my son on it when he was 3 weeks old.

• TiffanyMarie80
    April 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Why did he suggest an allergy medicine for a cold? I guess it DOES have a decongenstant in it, but. . . . it's not going to do squat for any other symptom, not that there's a med that's really safe for that age. . . . . so maybe that's why.  hmmmm.

And to answer your question, yes, tylenol and zyrtec CAN be taken together. . . . . Tylenol will help the fever.  No juice or water - stick with breastmilk - it will do more for the bug than anything else.  a cool mist humidifier in her room, and some vicks baby rub on her feet (I prefer eucalyptus oil mixed with lotion - same idea) will help the congestion and coughing - better than the zyrtec, really. 

If she is beginning to act more like herself, then it really just needs to run it's course - it's hard to see our babies miserable, though!!!  I know  :(

• Junebaby18
    April 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    I would only give her the Tylenol if she's acting grumpy and/or lethargic. It may help a little with the fever, but that's a low fever. How did you take her temp? Don't give her any water, just keep nursing her as your milk will give her antibodies to help her get better faster.
  • sahmw2010
    April 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    Yes u can give tylonal and zyrtec same day. My lil one gets tylonsl during the day and zyrtec at night. Docs said it is fine for me to give both
  • SweetEvangeline
    April 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Well, I told him that I had some at home she had been taking for a snotty nose and he told me to keep trying with it for a few days.
    I've never heard of the foot thing! Thanks! 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Why did he suggest an allergy medicine for a cold? I guess it DOES have a decongenstant in it, but. . . . it's not going to do squat for any other symptom, not that there's a med that's really safe for that age. . . . . so maybe that's why.  hmmmm.

And to answer your question, yes, tylenol and zyrtec CAN be taken together. . . . . Tylenol will help the fever.  No juice or water - stick with breastmilk - it will do more for the bug than anything else.  a cool mist humidifier in her room, and some vicks baby rub on her feet (I prefer eucalyptus oil mixed with lotion - same idea) will help the congestion and coughing - better than the zyrtec, really. 

If she is beginning to act more like herself, then it really just needs to run it's course - it's hard to see our babies miserable, though!!!  I know  :(

• Salem2012
    April 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I have actually never heard of giving a baby zyrtec so this is news for me lol but i guess just follow the doctor's directions.

• la_bella_vita
    April 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I'm not sure, bump