Babies

Featured Posts
piratepixie
it suddenly hurts to breast feed!!!! need help or advice, i dont know what to do!
April 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

my son is 2 months old and we haven't had any problems breastfeeding until a few days ago. as far as i can tell nothing has changed, he isn't cutting teeth or anything! but it hurts so bad to feed him now. at first i thought that maybe they were just sore or something. i have been using lanolin lanolina and it helps a little but my right boob still hurts like hell when he latches on.. kinda feels like it did when we first started out and i don't know why but i also think there is a sore spot on it too. like maybe he has been sucking on it too hard? i have tried pumping and it helps a little but i cant do it forever... not with how busy and crazy my life has been lately. so been pumping the right breast, feeding him with the left one... which doesn't hurt and trying to figure out some way to make this work.

i monitor how much formula i give him and when... he normally only gets between one/ two 3 oz bottles right now. and i want to keep it that way, he has reacted badly when i give him more then that. large diaper blow outs and gas along with getting really fussy... so i really don't want to stop breastfeeding, but i don't know why it hurts now.

has this happened to anyone, and if so what helped? how long did it go one for?

Replies

• Marimaru
    April 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It could be thrush.  I hear that's really painful.

• Blue_Spiral
    April 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It could be mastitis or thrush.

Every time mine get sore and it feels like mastitis coming on I rub coconut oil on  my nipples and it cures the pain.

I have had one bout of bad mastitis, and since then everytime I feel it come on, the coconut oil gets rid of it. I'm curious if other moms have found this cure... or if it's just me lol.

I had to have antibiotics to cure the first one, though.

It depends how far gone it is for you. If you can't even STAND to have him latch on, then you have to go to a doctor.

But if it just hurts like hell but you can bear it, then try coconut oil and/or the other mastitis or thrush remedies.

• piratepixie
    April 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

does it have to be pure coconut oil? i talked with my doctors office and they told me to try using bagbalm and to see if that helps. the baby hasnt been sick so i dont know what to think... it hurts just when he latches on but after a while  it doesnt and i can feed him normal... but i just dont know why this is happening. i didnt breast feed my first so i really dont know what to expect in all this, this is all new to me.

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

Every time mine get sore and it feels like mastitis coming on I rub coconut oil on  my nipples and it cures the pain.

I have had one bout of bad mastitis, and since then everytime I feel it come on, the coconut oil gets rid of it. I'm curious if other moms have found this cure... or if it's just me lol.

It depends how far gone it is for you. If you can't even STAND to have him latch on, then you have to go to a doctor.

But if it just hurts like hell but you can bear it, then try coconut oil and/or the other mastitis or thrush remedies.

• Blue_Spiral
    April 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    Just go to any health food store and get a jar of coconut oil. I haven't had any other kind. You could do a little research online first to decide which brand you'd prefer. It's normal to hurt at the latch, and then feel okay once they're nursing. That sounds exactly like my mastitis. My son was never sick either.
    Quoting piratepixie:

does it have to be pure coconut oil? i talked with my doctors office and they told me to try using bagbalm and to see if that helps. the baby hasnt been sick so i dont know what to think... it hurts just when he latches on but after a while  it doesnt and i can feed him normal... but i just dont know why this is happening. i didnt breast feed my first so i really dont know what to expect in all this, this is all new to me.

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    April 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    Sounds like the bottles could be messing with his latch, is there a particular reason why he's getting them?
  • SewingMamaLele
    April 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Could your period be coming on, or could you be pregnant? Sounds hormonal.
  • wonderwomanT08
    April 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    Same thing is happening to me. Looks like my lo has a lip tie. It just hurts more now because he knows how to get more out faster. It mostly hurts at first or during the let down and then I'm OK.
  • piratepixie
    April 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM

i havent gotten my period yet, sex hurts too much and im on birth control. so i dont think i can be pregnant.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Could your period be coming on, or could you be pregnant? Sounds hormonal.

• Junebaby18
    April 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Go to the Breastfeeding group. They have lots of advice and even a LC and a Pediatrition in there.
  • liamsmommy930
    April 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Definately see a lactation Consultant. WHen i had that when breast feeding it turned out to be yeast  which is common.  1 pill diflucan fixed that. Coconut oil is good too and antiyeast!  GL

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN