Babies

briebaby123
HELP! My baby is up every 2 hours!
April 22, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Please NO bashing or telling us to let her CIO

She is 6 months old and sleeps with us. 
We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

Is there a reason!? Can I change this!?
She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

Replies

• bellaamore
    April 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Now, i must say that i learned this the hard way.

My daughterr went through a tough time of waking almost every hours at one point after starting solids, and the issue was that she wasnt getting enough fat and calories. I simply nursed more and offered things like avocado and cheese, yogurt, etc over things like rice or crackers.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Nobody has mentioned this yet, but maybe she's getting too MUCH solids during the day. Breast milk is more calorie dense than any solids she is taking in. It may be filing her up, but she may not be getting all the necessary calories each day.

• Goofygadget
    April 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    Sleep with your shirt off. I hardly slept until I started doing that.

I have made quite a few threads about not sleeping. My son was annoyingly high needs. At about 4 weeks he only slept for 15 to 30 minute stretches. Unless my boob was right there. I was so exhausted. I finally fell asleep nursing him once when he was a little over 3 months. I woke up nearly 9 hours later. I lift my head in a rush and there he was, STILL on the boob, still sleeping. Before that I was getting about 2 hours in a 24 hour period and my son was only getting 9 at most. I had never felt better. Being alone with a baby that wouldn't sleep was killing me. After that day, I never even tried to put him in his crib again.
  • Nickie76
    April 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    I feel your pain!!! My 6 mo. Old twins do the exact same thing!!!

Quoting briebaby123:

Please NO bashing or telling us to let her CIO

She is 6 months old and sleeps with us. 
    We've tried  CIO a few times, it just makes her angrier and us more tired having to listen to it and HATE it. I've been able to move her to the bed beside us a few times, but she's still up every 2 hours! I freaking hate it!
    She's breastfed, and she still eats every two hours. All day and night...every day and night.

Is there a reason!? Can I change this!?
    She used to go 3-4 hours, but it seriously has been every 2 for weeks now!! I'm going bonkers!!

She wakes up all happy and refreshed while I suffer and am exhausted every day.....I don't want to quit breastfeeding, I don't want to make her cry in order for me to be able to get more sleep, I just want us to have a peaceful night!

• briebaby123
    April 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM

I'm sorry you went through it too, but it's nice to know i'm not alone!!
    I want to do what's best for her, but there have been a few nights of tears on my part and minutes from throwing in the towel!
    How'd you get her to sleep in her own crib!? Eventually hubby and I would like to have another baby, but we want her in her own bed/room first.

Quoting bellaamore:

Dont do rice cereal.

Not only is it hard for babies to digest, but breastfed babies have an even harder time digesting it.

As far as supply issues, thats actually a very common misconception when babies go through growth spurts or teethe. You just nurse through it. It is babys way of upping moms supply.

My daughter ate every two hours or so until she was almost a year old. We got longer time between feedings when she could walk and play alone and eat more solids. It is completely normal, mama. Dont worry. Just nurse through it... Itll get better. It got pretty hard for us at one point, but it settled back down. It isnt easy, but you are doing the best for your child.

My daughter just made sixteen months and now sleeps in her own crib in her own room and nkt with us anymore. She usually still wakes once or twice a night and i rock her back to sleep, but she will sleep straight through the night, otherrwise, sometes, not waking at all until morning.

Im sending you hugs.

• briebaby123
    April 24, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Wish I could do that!
    Believe me, I sleep "hanging out" all night, but she gets angry because she will have already sucked one "dry" and cry until I switch to the other side.

She also had really bad reflux, and still wakes when her tummy bothers her :/

Quoting Goofygadget:

Sleep with your shirt off. I hardly slept until I started doing that.

I have made quite a few threads about not sleeping. My son was annoyingly high needs. At about 4 weeks he only slept for 15 to 30 minute stretches. Unless my boob was right there. I was so exhausted. I finally fell asleep nursing him once when he was a little over 3 months. I woke up nearly 9 hours later. I lift my head in a rush and there he was, STILL on the boob, still sleeping. Before that I was getting about 2 hours in a 24 hour period and my son was only getting 9 at most. I had never felt better. Being alone with a baby that wouldn't sleep was killing me. After that day, I never even tried to put him in his crib again.

• EarlGrayHot
    April 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

See if your doctor thinks it might be time to add some cereal to her diet.  And consider not co-sleeping.  It's dangerous and it adds to the problem.  Good luck.

• HappyMommyToo
    April 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    Probably a growth spurt, are you feeding her solids yet?
  • niki_hubbard
    April 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

The baby knows what she needs. If she needs milk every two hours, she needs milk. I went through it with dd1, for 11 months, and am doing it now with dd2. I think it is a growth spurt. It will pass, and trust me, you will be happy that you suffered for it, and you will feel better knowing you did not give in and give her a subpar food just for your sake. I know it sucks, but I promise it will get better!

• bellaamore
    April 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Quoting briebaby123:

I'm sorry you went through it too, but it's nice to know i'm not alone!!
    I want to do what's best for her, but there have been a few nights of tears on my part and minutes from throwing in the towel!
    How'd you get her to sleep in her own crib!? Eventually hubby and I would like to have another baby, but we want her in her own bed/room first.

Quoting bellaamore:

Dont do rice cereal.

Not only is it hard for babies to digest, but breastfed babies have an even harder time digesting it.

As far as supply issues, thats actually a very common misconception when babies go through growth spurts or teethe. You just nurse through it. It is babys way of upping moms supply.

My daughter ate every two hours or so until she was almost a year old. We got longer time between feedings when she could walk and play alone and eat more solids. It is completely normal, mama. Dont worry. Just nurse through it... Itll get better. It got pretty hard for us at one point, but it settled back down. It isnt easy, but you are doing the best for your child.

My daughter just made sixteen months and now sleeps in her own crib in her own room and nkt with us anymore. She usually still wakes once or twice a night and i rock her back to sleep, but she will sleep straight through the night, otherrwise, sometes, not waking at all until morning.

Im sending you hugs.

We would put her sleep as usual, and put her in her crib when she was asleep. If she woke up at night and wanted with us, we would let her u til she was asleep, then move her to the crib. We did it that way for quite a while. The crib was right by our bed.

After a while, we started putting her for naps in her crib only, not our bed anymore. Then, when wed put her to sleep and put her in her crib, i would just pick her up and get her to sleep then back in the crib. Eventually, she just started staying there. Lol. Then, we moved her to her own room.

Now, she wouldnt stay therre until we made a crevice for her using four pillows in a square(on all sides of the crib) and a blaet on top to make it smooth, and one to cover with. We had to make it soft and comfy like our bed and feel like she was sleeping between us with the pillows.

Babies