Koux
Concerned about 9 month old's walking
by Koux
April 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
My baby girl is 9 months old, and she's very healthy and meeting milestones beautifully. She is crawling and standing up on things. I have a concern about how she is walking though. She'll take steps when we hold both of her hands, and I've noticed that she favors her right leg when she walks. It's almost like she has a limp - she'll step on her left foot, but very lightly and she over-reaches with her right foot to compensate. She looks totally normal and doesnt crawl crooked, its only when she walks. Is this something I should see her doctor about? She JUST had her 9 month appt like a week ago, so I feel silly going in for something like this that could be nothing. I know it's still really early in the "walking" stage and I just don't know when to be concerned. What would you do?

Replies

• Blue_Spiral
    April 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM

A lot of babies will favor a leg when they crawl. My son used is right leg to push himself, and kept his left on the knee. It looked like limping lol, and I have seen other kids do that. My mother says I also did it as a baby.

But I haven't seen this in walking... I personally wouldn't worry about it until she's older and it either straightens out or gets worse, unless you think she's in pain.

• Zazayam
    by Zazayam
    April 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I wouldn't worry about it yet unless she looks like it's painful or something.

• MixedCooke
    April 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

not worry about it, they are all wobbly at that age and still figuring things out.

• MixedCooke
    April 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

first timer right?

• lauratupper
    April 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM

my ds did that but just the opposite, he would put more weight on his left leg when he was learning to walk. He is 3 and walks just fine now, and he is left handed, the left side of his body is more dominate, and I think that is why he would do that when learning to walk.

• la_bella_vita
    April 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

• abra
    by abra
    April 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I agree. I have seen kids who favor one leg over the other when they are walking, too, and they usually evened it out on their own without any interventions. 

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

A lot of babies will favor a leg when they crawl. My son used is right leg to push himself, and kept his left on the knee. It looked like limping lol, and I have seen other kids do that. My mother says I also did it as a baby.

But I haven't seen this in walking... I personally wouldn't worry about it until she's older and it either straightens out or gets worse, unless you think she's in pain.

• Koux
    by Koux
    April 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    Who, me or the baby? She is my second child, if that's what you mean. I just worry because I have scoliosis in my family and have known babies with hip dysplasia.

Thanks all for puttin my mind at ease! That makes me feel better. I guess I'll just see if it gets better once she starts ACTUALLY walking. Hopefully she's just figuring it out and it will go away eventually.

Quoting MixedCooke:

first timer right?

• 937mrsweaver
    April 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

i would wait a lil longer and see how it plays out.. her leg may be just a td longer than the other..

• erinsmom1964
    April 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    Way to early to worry.just keep an eye
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts