Babies

mom_to_kenzie
bedtime routine..and getting them out of our room
March 26, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Ok ladies, I need help on a couple of things. For starters, we have switched ds from a crib to his big boy bed (new baby due in June). Ds will be 2 in June. We were having issues with him not wanting to sleep in his crib at night, so we switched. He's been in his big boy bed now for about 3 months and with the new found freedom comes the chore of keeping him in bed. Keep in mind, this is the child who would go to bed at 7 and be up by 4 am. Now, he's not going to bed until 10-11 at night, and while the fact that he sleeps in now is great, I have literally no down time. I'm not sure how ti get him back on his routine. When he was in his crib, we would eat dinner and start settling down. Around 7 we would lay him in his crib,..sometimes earlier depending on if he napped or not. Naps are pretty much out of the picture now and really only happen if we're in the car..but then we run in to the issue of a screaming kid at 5 pm and being overly tired, causing him to be up until 10 or 11 pm. He's been sick the last week but finally started feeling better yesterday. So, why not start now? Lol

Next issue...dd (4) and ds have taken over our room. I need them out. I need my space where there aren't toys constantly laying around. I want to be able to close my door and not see kids barge in or be at the door crying. Dd is really bad about coming in in the middle of the night and sleeping in the floor. It's not hurting anyone, but at the same time, she has a room and she should be sleeping in it. Same for ds. He's been waking up in the middle of the night wanting to lay with us or one of us lay with him. It's exhausting. I don't get good rest (let alone sleep) and I'm constantly running on little to no energy. Advice?

Replies

• la_bella_vita
    March 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I've never dealt with sleep issues, bump

• abra
    by abra
    March 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

For your son, keep him up through dinner, then establish a bedtime routine (bath, reading, etc). Make sure you have fully baby proofed his room so he can't get hurt. We then unscrew the lightbulb so even if our 2 year old turns on the light, it is still dark and we put his toys in the closet at night (whereas for his rest time he gets to play with his toys in his room with the light on). 

For you r 4 year old, We have a no toys or kid stuff in our room rule. Mom and Dad's room is a sanctuary. No kids allowed! If they have a bad dream or something at night, we comfort them and put them back in their own bed. 

• stressrelief27
    March 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    The best advice I can give you is based on my experience. I had the same problem with my son. I established a bed time routine. ( we ate dinner around 5-6, played for an hour, the bath around eight, (baths soothe him and helped him fall asleep much better) then I put him to bed and red him a book) he will fall asleep shortly after. As far as coming in the room at night to sleep every tine they come out pick them up and put them back in bed. ( I know its a pain in rye ass but it took me three night and the habbit was broken)

I tried alit of things and I know that every child is different so if this doesn't work your more than welcome to message me and ill give you more ideas

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts