Featured Posts
Owensmom1288
When to progress to other foods other than plain baby food...
March 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Hello. I am a first time mom and I am trying to figure out what to feed my 8 month old son and when. I have been breastfeeding him since he was born and plan to continue until he is a year old. Right now he east solids 3 times a day; breakfast is baby oatmeal with some kind of baby fruit mixed into it, lunch is baby oatmeal with baby veggies mixed into it and dinner is baby meats, half a jar of veggies and half to a whole (depending on how hungry he is) jar of fruit. Sometimes at lunch I do give him a rice cup to eat while I get his food ready and he also uses a mesh teether with either chunks of bananas or frozen blueberries and he loves it! I have also started trying to get him to use a sippy cup, not very successful yet but we keep trying, lol. Oh yeah, he does not have any teeth yet, not even a hint of one!

It may sound silly but I don't want him to get bored with meal time because he gets the same food over and over again! So I am trying to get some ideas of what I can give him at this age. What do you give your little ones (with or without any teeth)?

Thanks!

Replies

• TiffanyMarie80
    March 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Google baby led solids for some great tips on giving babies table food and letting them self feed.  :)  for the most part, you can give him anything you're having - baby food is not necessary (though baby food companies would have us believe otherwise).  Just make sure to nurse first, then follow with solids.

• abra
    by abra
    March 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I give my babies (after 8 months old) pretty much whatever we are eating with the except of certain fishes, peanut butter, honey and a couple other "high risk" foods. :-) Tonight he ate some cheesy pasta with a mild kielbasa and some cooked spinach! :-)

• MixedCooke
    March 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM

pretty much when I see them reaching for whatever I am eating or opening their mouth as I am eating for me to feed them whatever I have.  At 8 months, my eldest was eating a pureed version of whatever we were eating even beef curry.  In the beginning, it is primarily to get them used to the different textures of food and also because their stomachs are smaller but you can now venture into more solids such as Cheerios, Gerber puffs, Gerber yogurt melts and regular steamed veggies, mashed potatoes, little pieces of meat, diced fruit, your pureed dinner (to chunky not smooth texture), etc. 

you kinda want to monitor your spice use of course and watch for signs of any allergies. 

• tyrelsmom
    March 26, 2013 at 2:09 AM
    I don't ever give mine baby food. They start on soft pieces of regular food at 6 months if they want it.
  • Baby_Avas_Momma
    March 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM
    Just give him real food. Purees and cereals/oatmeals are never necessary.
  • Baby_Avas_Momma
    March 26, 2013 at 2:58 AM
    Oh and teeth aren't needed for food. Baby's chew using the gums at the back of their mouths, their gums are very strong. My dd didn't get her first tooth until 14 months old, but was eating table food and shredded pieces of meat at 7 months old. :)
  • wolfybaby
    March 26, 2013 at 3:02 AM

my daughter didnt get her first teeth until 9 months. even without teeth, they are able to eat plenty of foods! as long as they have the mashing skill. look up baby-led weaning. might be a good option to consider switching to, especially if you dont want your son to get bored with not-so-exciting purees.

http://www.babyledweaning.com/

• Owensmom1288
    March 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thanks ladies, it is all very helpful! I will try new stuff, his dad is very paranoid to give him anything he needs to chew but I will still try! :)

• angela.bouchard
    March 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

A lot of moms never used pureed baby food. My son started on soft table foods between 7-8 months and was completely off purees by 8 months.

• SewingMamaLele
    March 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM

We never do baby food... so my kids all eat regular food at that age.

It does sound like a LOT, though... is he having full nursing sessions before each solids meal?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts