Babies

Featured Posts
serious22
how to stop pacifier use?
March 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM
My lo uses a pacifier at night but after falling asleep needs it back in his mouth he will wake up when it does fall out. My husband is the one who keeps giving it to him. He will not stop. My husband does not understand that the baby does this at night. The paci does distract him from all his arm movement that wakes him.

Replies

• seraphimsong
    March 25, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    How old is baby?

With my son I took it away at 18 months because I knew for sure he didn't need it anymore - but if your baby is still young it might be better to let him use it for just a little while longer.

Anyway, I just got rid of all of them and didn't give him one. He was kind of upset the first couple days but it wasn't bad at all.
  • -Kney-
    by -Kney-
    March 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    My son will be 4 months old tomorrow, he doesnt take his pacis unless asleep but even then he spits them out so we kind of stopped using them.

He is more into his hands n anything else he can get his hands on
  • babygomez
    March 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Just throw them all out. Your little one will cry however you go about it.

• proudmommy690
    March 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    I take it away cold turkey around 18 months..
  • fatcat0908
    March 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    My children were only allowed them in their cribs and I never took them away. I let them self wean off them. Usually around three or so they didn't want them anymore.
  • SandraB383
    March 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

When I thought it was time for my daughter to stop having them I used scissors to cut a slit into the top of them. She'd put it in her mouth, take it out, look at it funny, and not want it anymore. She was old enough to throw it away herself. I slowly did that with all of them until they were just gone. Was easy :p

• la_bella_vita
    March 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM

We never used them, bump

• AngryBob
    March 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM

the older two i threw them out at a year. the younger one was less than a year, now that i think about it. i think cutting a slit in it is the better idea, because they sometimes try and steal them from the sibling younger than them. but if you cut a slit and they make a conscious choice that they do not like them anymore, then you won't have a problem with them stealing them. at least, that's how my brain thinks. good luck!

• rockinmomto2
    March 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

My kids all stopped using them on their own...probably by around 6 months? Maybe slightly earlier. I personally wouldn't take one away until closer to 18 months if it was being used to help self soothe. 

• ADC2005
    by ADC2005
    March 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    My dr gave me that advice that I should try to get rid of it by a year before she got really emotionally attached so I took it away around 10-11 months she hardly noticed

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN