NoahsMommy10412
Is my baby sick? ETA
March 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

My son is almost 6 months old. All day yesterday he cried and slept (he did eat his food though but not the full 8 ounces like he normally does). He slept all night (7:30pm-7:00am) like he normally does. This morning he had some boogers and a coughed a couple times. He also didn't eat a full 8 ounces again. He keeps crying even when I pick him up or put him down. I'm worried that my poor baby is sick for the first time.

I can't take his temperature because his thermometer needs a new battery.

ETA: I took him to urgent care this afternoon and they sent us to the hospital where they diagnosed him with RSV. I got to watch his breathing now and if it gets worse or there's new symptoms I have to bring him back to the hospital or his doctors because it could turn into bronchiolitis, croup, or pneumonia.

Replies

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    March 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Maybe, it's hard to tell. Just keep an eye on his diapers. If he's not peeing, that is a sign of dehydration, which is dangerous, especially in a baby.  Otherwise just play it out and make him comfortable. :)

• Hi_Rae
    by Hi_Rae
    March 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    Is he drooling a lot? My ds gets really stuffy right before he cuts teeth. Call your ped if you're really concerned
  • iansmommy9
    March 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Sometimes they can be congested without being sick. Watch is body signals. Is he tugging at his ear? Sometimes they do this when they have an ear infection. Could he be cutting teeth? My son always got congested when he teethed?

• NoahsMommy10412
    March 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Last night I think I only changed his diaper 4 times. So far today I've only changed it once and it's 11:36am.

Quoting PEEK05:

Maybe, it's hard to tell. Just keep an eye on his diapers. If he's not peeing, that is a sign of dehydration, which is dangerous, especially in a baby.  Otherwise just play it out and make him comfortable. :)

• NoahsMommy10412
    March 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM

He is getting at least 4 teeth on the bottom and looks like 4 teeth on the top. He was fussy about that for a couple weeks but stopped fussing about it about 2-3 weeks ago.

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Is he drooling a lot? My ds gets really stuffy right before he cuts teeth. Call your ped if you're really concerned

• NoahsMommy10412
    March 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

He's not grabbing his ear or anything. He doesn't even want to play with any toys. All he wants to do is snuggle with me and cry which is why I'm thinking he's sick. He is getting at least 4 teeth on the bottom and looks like 4 teeth on the top. He was fussy about that for a couple weeks but stopped fussing about it about 2-3 weeks ago.

Quoting iansmommy9:

Sometimes they can be congested without being sick. Watch is body signals. Is he tugging at his ear? Sometimes they do this when they have an ear infection. Could he be cutting teeth? My son always got congested when he teethed?

• iansmommy9
    March 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM

If he goes longer than 8 hours in between wet diaprs, he needs to go in for fluids. ow much des he usually eat in  day? If it's a lot more than 8 oz, then you might consider calling the doc. The only time DS ever refused to eat was when he had tonsilitus at about 9 months.

Quoting NoahsMommy10412:

Last night I think I only changed his diaper 4 times. So far today I've only changed it once and it's 11:36am.

Quoting PEEK05:

• NoahsMommy10412
    March 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Thanks I will watch for that. So far it's been 4 1/2 hours since his last diaper change which was both wet and poopy.

Quoting iansmommy9:

If he goes longer than 8 hours in between wet diaprs, he needs to go in for fluids. ow much des he usually eat in  day? If it's a lot more than 8 oz, then you might consider calling the doc. The only time DS ever refused to eat was when he had tonsilitus at about 9 months.

Quoting NoahsMommy10412:

Quoting PEEK05:

• Liudmyla
    March 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Take a look at discharge from his nose is it clear or green? If it's green - he might be coming down with a cold.

Try to clear his nose with a saline spray couple times a day, also aloe baby rub helps with congestion and cough at night or vaporizer.

With my youngest one buggers would always end with an ear infection, so watch out for that.

• Kenre
    by Kenre
    March 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    Could be teething too.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts