Babies

Featured Posts
prdmomnarmywife
EBF now have to FF . Nipple issues help ?
February 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I've been EBF ds . He's 7weeks old . He started refusing a paci at 3 weeks & using me as one . & started refusing breast milk bottles too .

I now need to put him on hypoallergenic formula . We can't pin point what he's allergic to besides Dairy . & his allergies are now starting to effect his breathing. :/

I have Tommee tippee bottles & he is now whiling to try to take them , but he can't figure out how to suck on the nipple . Are there any other bottles/ nipples that are easier to transition to ?

Please do not make this into a debate / bash session or try to make me feel any worst then I already do about having to switch thanks .

& yes I tried an elimination diet .

Replies

• SewingMamaLele
    February 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

theres really no way to make him take it... i know you said you did an elimination... but for how long?

• krodden87
    February 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    The wider ones were easier for my son to transition too... i think the shape is more natural for them or something. And dont let anybody tell you what youre doing is wrong. I went through the same with mine cause of allergies and blood sugar issues.
  • prdmomnarmywife
    February 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    For about 5 and a half weeks. He got better for awhile and is now getting bad again . . He's trying to take it now . He's no longer refusing . He just can not figure out how to suck on it properly .

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

theres really no way to make him take it... i know you said you did an elimination... but for how long?

• prdmomnarmywife
    February 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Thank you ! I hate how people try to make you feel bad when you already do !

We had the same issue with my oldest as well . Because of his blood sugar & massive amounts of blood they made me immediately stop BF & I never got to try an elimination diet . He was an easier transition to bottle though because he was almost 3 weeks old and still taking a paci . NICU had him on bottles the first weeks as well so he was used to it .

This baby has only had a bottle 3 times and it was weeks ago . So he doesn't remember ..

What brand did you wind up using ? Do you remember ? These are wider but he just keeps rolling his tongue around it while trying to suck .

Quoting krodden87:

The wider ones were easier for my son to transition too... i think the shape is more natural for them or something. And dont let anybody tell you what youre doing is wrong. I went through the same with mine cause of allergies and blood sugar issues.
  • readbooksndance
    February 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    My dd used Playtex brand nipples when supplemented with formula. And she didn't seem to have any trouble adjusting.
  • expectantmom81
    February 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    I like the playtex nurser drop in ones. They are close to a moms nipple
  • SewingMamaLele
    February 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Poor guy!   Maybe it's the taste?   I know my daughter has no trouble sucking on anything... but if it tastes bad she'll just chew on it and pretend she doesn't know how (rather, she did that around your sons age)... maybe try a medicine dropper or SNS at the breast to get him used to the taste first?     Or try expressed milk in the bottle and then switch over.

Also, not sure if you've thought about it... but I'd probably continue to pump to maintain supply just in case you can't find a formula that works for him.   I've seen moms make the switch and then baby can't handle the formula either.   Just until he's tollerating it well, etc...

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

For about 5 and a half weeks. He got better for awhile and is now getting bad again . . He's trying to take it now . He's no longer refusing . He just can not figure out how to suck on it properly .

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

• prdmomnarmywife
    February 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    Thank you ! At first it was the taste he would make a terrible face & wouldn't attempt to eat it at all , but now the taste doesn't seem to be bugging him as much , he tries latching and sucking but just can't figure out how to latch onto it . I wanted to try pumping again to teach him how to use the bottle but they had me put him on nutramigen at 3 weeks and since then my supply has some issues , I hardly make anything at all . I'm scared ,if I pump it all out and he still can't figure it out that he will have to go hungry for a few hours :/ he's already having a hard time getting full .

Thank you . He's going to be on neocate , that I am aware of there's nothing more hypoallergenic ? So if he can't tolerate that we will have some serious problems . My first did well with it so hopefully he does too ! I will try to pump as long as possible though and do a trail run at 6 months , if i can . to see how his allergies are .

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Poor guy!   Maybe it's the taste?   I know my daughter has no trouble sucking on anything... but if it tastes bad she'll just chew on it and pretend she doesn't know how (rather, she did that around your sons age)... maybe try a medicine dropper or SNS at the breast to get him used to the taste first?     Or try expressed milk in the bottle and then switch over.

Also, not sure if you've thought about it... but I'd probably continue to pump to maintain supply just in case you can't find a formula that works for him.   I've seen moms make the switch and then baby can't handle the formula either.   Just until he's tollerating it well, etc...

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

• rwebb11
    by rwebb11
    February 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    My son had to use bottles starting at 2 weeks and then again at 10 weeks. He took a dr. Browns bottle the first try no issues. We love them. Good luck. He won't starve. He will eat if he is hungry enough.
  • la_bella_vita
    February 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

We used Avent bottles when I pumped. And the playtex ones

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts