Featured Posts
Jacylove
Preventing flat head...
February 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Do u use a special pillow to prevent a flat head? Do u believe in baby getting a flat head?

-I was looking online at special pillows and was thinking to get one but idk cuz she 7 weeks is it too late?? But then again she's a girl so you wouldn't be able to tell anyway... Right??

Comment? Thoughts??

Replies

• Marimaru
    February 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

My daughter started getting flat on one side of her head, so we just started making a point to turn her head the other way when she was sleeping.  What really helped though was this playmat my mom got that had a mirror on it.  We'd lay her down so that she'd stare at the mirror on her not flat side.  After a few weeks she was totally evened out again.  I want to say it was right around her 2 month appointment that my mom pointed out her head shape, and I was starting to notice it too, but couldn't figure out what was wrong.

• crystalplus1
    February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

My ds has a small flat spot on the back of his head. Dr. said it was because he was so big. I was told to lay him propped on his side but he was about 4 months old. I don't think you should do that with such a young baby

• mamabens
    February 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I don't use  special pillows or anything other than I wear my child alot & never leave them laying in one position for long at all.

• IansMommy2012
    February 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Yes flat head exists. I know several children/adults with flat head. Tummy time is the best thing. My child never slept on his back period always tummy
  • newmom121812
    February 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    Turn her head and alternate sides. She won't get a flat head no need for a pillow
  • pinkiebabii
    February 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    Instead of buying special things for her to lay on, hold her as much as possible.
  • cyork2
    by cyork2
    February 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    I do two different types of neck stretches and the "football" hold a couple times a day. I used to do his streches at every diaper change, but now that his tilt has improved so much I only do them about twice a day. That's great you were able to do them without pt! All the visits get pretty pricey, lol. I had no idea about flat spots and tort before ds was born, its defiantly crazy how much it can influence everything else!

Quoting queen_k0302:

That is really good! I had been gave the option of therapy but it just didn't seem right for us. The doctor are shocked i did it on my own. She now passes her hearing screening.

What kind of stretching do you do and how often? What other things has helped?

To think the shape of a babies head could really mean something. She is my 3rd and i have learned so much from her.

Quoting cyork2:

That's good to hear she's doing well! Ds has severe plagiocephally and torticollus. We were doing physical therapy for awhile, but now we do the stretches at home, its improved a lot. We have seen improvements in his head shape already too, and his left ear isn't poking out as much. He also is starting to catch up with his milestones. I'm so glad we were able to do the doc band!

Quoting queen_k0302:

The doc called Zoey's undefined scaphophise (sp). He her head is long and flat on the sides. Looking from the top it's boat shaped. He soft spot started growing together more on the sides. It's not a severe case. She has had few earothers infecrions and under developed sinuses. Her forehead is larger and ears close to the back. Her band has head bands that cover it and look really cute! You can see from her pic.

She is meeting all her mile stones right on. The doctors thought she would have delays by now and therapy. I just work with her more.

How is your baby? I don't know anything about his.

Quoting cyork2:

we are too, ds has been in a doc band for a month now. He was born with torticollis though, and repositioning didn't help.

Quoting queen_k0302:

Holding your baby will round the head.

My dd has what is referred to as preterm baby head. We are doing band therapy.

If you are worried ask her pedi.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts