Babies

Featured Posts
ashybaby87
Pregnant with baby #2 with a 5 year old daughter
January 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

We just found out we're expecting our 2nd baby with an estimated due date of October 2nd, 2013. My daughter just made 5 on January 25th. She's excited about the baby, but wow, I feel like I'm starting all over almost like I've never done this before! lol. I almost feel crazy saying that, but true. I remember with her I spent ENDLESS nights on CafeMom researching so many things and now I find myself wanting to do it all over again. Am I crazy?? haha. But anyway, what are some tips? I'm sure things have changed since 2008. How do you deal with a 5 year age gap as far as with the pregnancy and the whole bringing the new baby home? Just any advice would be good because I'm not even sure of what to ask. 

Replies

• sunfire79
    January 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

My daughter was 6 when my son was born and I love the age gap!  Yes, we are starting over, but I don't feel overwhelmed trying to take care of two little ones.  My daughter can be in her room playing or watching tv while I"m taking care of the baby.  Luke adores his big sister and loves to watch her...whatever she is doing.  And she loves to play with him and hold him.  Shes not big on feeding him or changing his diaper, but she helps with everything else!

• paknari
    by paknari
    January 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you! My daughter turned 5 dec. 27th and I'm die with our secondarch 10th. I feel nervous but my daughter is so independent that I think I may benefit from the age difference!
  • ashybaby87
    January 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yea, I definitely think there will be some benefits of the age gap!

Quoting paknari:

I'm in the same boat as you! My daughter turned 5 dec. 27th and I'm die with our secondarch 10th. I feel nervous but my daughter is so independent that I think I may benefit from the age difference!

• la_bella_vita
    January 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

My oldest and youngest are 5 months apart. My youngest is 1 now and they are close : )

• Summerlion1123
    January 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM
    My kids are almost 7 years apart and I felt like a first time mom when pregnant with the second cuz the experience was totally different. I did a lot of research too and found it helpful. Now that baby is here it doesn't feel so much like the first time. But I still look things up a lot. I just find im more relaxed.
  • jessicaaris
    January 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I felt that way too even though my gap was only 3 years between my oldest and middle children. It will all come back to you.

• ashybaby87
    January 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Exactly. I guess it's more of a way to relax than anything

Quoting Summerlion1123:

My kids are almost 7 years apart and I felt like a first time mom when pregnant with the second cuz the experience was totally different. I did a lot of research too and found it helpful. Now that baby is here it doesn't feel so much like the first time. But I still look things up a lot. I just find im more relaxed.

• Monica_0812
    January 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    congrats on the new baby!!
    My oldest just turn 4 on nov 12 & 3 days later I gave birth to my now 2 month old son. I understand the feeling of starting all over again. It's definitely overwhelming at times especially with an older child. My advice to you its to enjoy your new baby to the fullest and keep in mind that your oldest might need more attention so she won't feel left out. Don't worry everything is going to come back as soon the baby arrives. your a pro already!!
  • mom2Bellarose
    January 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM

My oldest daughter (now 7) turned 5 just 2 weeks before giving birth to my youngest daughter. The age difference is WONDERFUL. I had a high risk/partial bed rest with DD2 and it went much easier with an older child. It would have been really rough if my oldest had been younger and more needier. After the baby was born it was great. Having an older child with a newborn was much easier I imagine because I was able to spent lots of bonding time with the baby and still have my time with my oldest.

• saysmom
    by saysmom
    January 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I found out I was pregnant right when my daughter turned 5. It was a surprise pregnancy so we weren't ecstatic at first! But my daughter was so thrilled, as she had been praying for a sibling! And like you we didn't want to start over. We had it made, she could pretty much do for herself and it was easy to get sitters and I could go anywhere and take her, she was so good! I had the bay 2 days after my oldest started kindergarten! I stay at home and it was nice to spend time with the first and now could do the same with the second while she was at school. I don't go and do as I once did just because we are working around sleeping and feeding schedule! And she isn't as easy to take in public as my oldest but it has all worked out! The oldest is abig help and has never been jealous! She is old enough to understand that the baby needs our attention! And she is in school  and has cheer and has friends and is starting to have her wn thing going on! I love the age difference! I wouldn't have it any other way! And we really don't mind the diapers and all again as we know how fast hey grow up and you seem to not let things bother you the second time around! You will be fine, it will all work out and you will love the age difference!!!! Good luck!!!!

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts