Babies

Featured Posts
little.worthen
Potty training question.
January 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I know kids should potty train when they are ready, but what do you think is the earliest a baby can understand it? Like, you say lets go potty and they know what you're talking about. Or at what age should you at least give it a shot?

Replies

• SewingMamaLele
    January 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM

when they start understanding.   i couldn't imagine starting before two... but i know sometimes girls mature a little faster.

• babygomez
    January 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Right after my daughter turned two, I started showing her all about using the toilet and wearing panties. She was interested and eager, and caught on really fast.

• abra
    by abra
    January 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    I think elimination communication training starts at 18 months. I usually train m kids at 3 years, though. :-)
  • angela.bouchard
    January 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I started putting my son on around 18 months and he was cooperative but we got lazy with it and now a year later we're just starting up again. I know many girls who were potty trained before 2 years though. Crazy!

• jridgill
    January 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM
    When they can stop what they are doing, walk to the potty, pull their pants down and go!
  • NowImAMom...
    January 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I did a little looking into elimination communication out of curiosity. From my understanding, it can start from birth and it is easiest to start before baby is 6 months old, because that is when the going potty cues tend to start disappearing if they aren't encouraged. I could be wrong though.

Quoting abra:

I think elimination communication training starts at 18 months. I usually train m kids at 3 years, though. :-)

• SarineLewis
    January 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM
    I was wondering the same thing! I know he has a ways to go (has to learn to stand and walk still :P) but my 1 yr old seems to understand things well. I think as long as it's in your vocabulary around them from an early age they will probably want to try it earlier rather than later.
  • AngryBob
    January 27, 2013 at 2:29 AM
    EC can start at birth. A lot of people say three months, too. That's when we started, and had great success. There's really no bad time to start, and it's never too late.
    Although it's not really supposed to be thought of as potty training. That's just an added bonus ;)

Quoting abra:

• erikays
    by erikays
    January 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    We always waited til 3, my boys never showed any signs.
  • jessicaaris
    January 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I always started potty training at 2 but my youngest daughter started picking up on it before that, around 20 months or so. She would go a few times but we never were very strict about it. She is almost potty trained now, and she turned 2 in November. But I have two other kids who are PTed so it helped that she saw them do it and kind of picked up on it that way.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts