little.worthen
Potty training question.
January 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I know kids should potty train when they are ready, but what do you think is the earliest a baby can understand it? Like, you say lets go potty and they know what you're talking about. Or at what age should you at least give it a shot?

Replies

• little.worthen
    January 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

well thats a pretty harsh judgement over people you dont know..

Quoting abra:

I agree that moms tend to rush to potty training when in reality, diapering is just part of being a parent. You get used to it and learn to be content changing diapers all the time. When mothers can't stand changing their baby's diapers, their lack of patience and understanding usually manifests in other parts of their parenting, too. They need to get over themselves. I train my kids after they turn 3. They can communicate and cooperate at that age. They usually have daytime training down in about a week. No harm, no foul.

Quoting littleredhead93:

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

• abra
    by abra
    January 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    No judgement intended. Just an observation,

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting abra:

I agree that moms tend to rush to potty training when in reality, diapering is just part of being a parent. You get used to it and learn to be content changing diapers all the time. When mothers can't stand changing their baby's diapers, their lack of patience and understanding usually manifests in other parts of their parenting, too. They need to get over themselves. I train my kids after they turn 3. They can communicate and cooperate at that age. They usually have daytime training down in about a week. No harm, no foul.

Quoting littleredhead93:

I've never understood the need to potty train ASAP. These are years you'll never get back. Plus, even once their potty trained there's so much hassle getting the child to go or remember to go. So for me, I plan on waiting 'til my daughter is at least 5 yrs old.

• tyrelsmom
    January 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    Started at 5 months with my 3rd, she was day trained by 13 months.
  • little.worthen
    January 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

whoa, how did you manage that? my son couldnt even sit up at 5 months

Quoting tyrelsmom:

• tyrelsmom
    January 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    I rush to potty learning because I want to give my kids an alternative to crapping and peeing on themselves.
    To each their own.

Quoting abra:

Quoting littleredhead93:

• larissalarie
    January 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Lol, I wouldn't place much stock in anything she says...this same person who says potty training before 3 means you lack patience and understanding also advocates CIO and a bunch of other hands off, moms-needs-first parenting techniques.

Some kids aren't ready til late, some are ready early. My kids have all expressed an interest in it very early. What WOULD be selfish is me ignoring their desire to learn because I happen to find diapers a lot more convenient (Which is true, diapers are easier. Any Mom who's been through potty training will tell you that much. Letting them go in a diaper and changing it is WAY easier than having to take them to the potty, but we don't delay potty training when a child indicates they're ready for our own convenience)
    Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting abra:

Quoting littleredhead93:

• little.worthen
    January 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

oh i see........

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, I wouldn't place much stock in anything she says...this same person who says potty training before 3 means you lack patience and understanding also advocates CIO and a bunch of other hands off, moms-needs-first parenting techniques.

Some kids aren't ready til late, some are ready early. My kids have all expressed an interest in it very early. What WOULD be selfish is me ignoring their desire to learn because I happen to find diapers a lot more convenient (Which is true, diapers are easier. Any Mom who's been through potty training will tell you that much. Letting them go in a diaper and changing it is WAY easier than having to take them to the potty, but we don't delay potty training when a child indicates they're ready for our own convenience)
    Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting abra:

Quoting littleredhead93:

• tyrelsmom
    January 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    She couldn't either, lol. I held her.

She was pretty special that way. I think her sensitive skin had a lot to do with it. She had a horrible rash for almost 3 months. Until I figured out the secret. Cloth diapers, changed as soon as she goes. I literally checked her every 10 minutes. Or less. Very soon I didn't need to, she'd let me know. Then she started letting me know. BEFORE she went some of the time. Took me a bit to click in, but I did eventually. And from there she went at her own pace with just a little help and encouragement from me. She wore diapers anyway until about 16 months when I finally found panties small enough for her. But the last few months of that, she'd mostly wear the same diaper all day, because it was still clean. I would just take it off every time she needed to go, she'd go, I'd wipe her and put it back on, lol.

My youngest I gave the opportunity pretty much from birth, and she has always done most #2s in the potty. But she's 13 months and still pees in her diaper more often than the potty. Just doesn't have the interest her sister did. Whatever, I don't care, she's still a baby. She'll do it on her own time. I've laid the groundwork, now it's up to her.

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

• little.worthen
    January 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM

i wanted to try cloth, but i dont have an account that i can buy diapers online so i cant buy any... its really sucky. my son has rashes too. i've tried a bunch of things. i had to make cloth wipes..

Quoting tyrelsmom:

She couldn't either, lol. I held her.

She was pretty special that way. I think her sensitive skin had a lot to do with it. She had a horrible rash for almost 3 months. Until I figured out the secret. Cloth diapers, changed as soon as she goes. I literally checked her every 10 minutes. Or less. Very soon I didn't need to, she'd let me know. Then she started letting me know. BEFORE she went some of the time. Took me a bit to click in, but I did eventually. And from there she went at her own pace with just a little help and encouragement from me. She wore diapers anyway until about 16 months when I finally found panties small enough for her. But the last few months of that, she'd mostly wear the same diaper all day, because it was still clean. I would just take it off every time she needed to go, she'd go, I'd wipe her and put it back on, lol.

My youngest I gave the opportunity pretty much from birth, and she has always done most #2s in the potty. But she's 13 months and still pees in her diaper more often than the potty. Just doesn't have the interest her sister did. Whatever, I don't care, she's still a baby. She'll do it on her own time. I've laid the groundwork, now it's up to her.

Quoting little.worthen:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

• Sharell8710
    January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I wait until they're 3. Jasiah was just over 3 when I put him in underwear, told him he has to potty in the toilet or else it'll go all over the floor, and I never put him back in a diaper. He wore a pull-up to sleep for about a month but never during the day. He was trained within 3 days. Once he got better control of his bladder, he slept in underwear as well (after that month).

I think earlier than 3 is just too soon.  It'll just be more of a frustration than anything. I'd rather wait and have my kids fully trained in 2-3 days than to deal with pull-ups and accidents for weeks or months.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts