Babies

AshlynnJadesMom
Infuriated with my Pediatricians staff
January 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
So yesterday morning my 15 month old daughter woke up with a 102 fever and had thrown up in the night so I gave her some motrin and took her to the doc. They checked her out and said she has an ear infection so we went and got her antibiotics and went home. I fed her and put her down for a nap but she only slept for 10 mins and then was up screaming and crying. I went and got her and let her lay on the couch with me while I sat there. She looked really out of it and bright red so I took her temp. It was 105.5. I freaked out called the doctor while checking it over and over. By then I am getting 106 readings. I tell the staff what is happening so she says please hold and puts me on hold for 5 minutes. Then she picks back up and says I am going to put you over to the nurse she will call you back and transfers me to an answering machine. I was INFURIATED! I left a message and by the time she calls me back I am getting my daughter in the car to go to the ER. She calls and says well she does have an ear infection a fever is normal. I say yes I know this but not 106 this is to high. She is trying to talk me out of going to the ER and I say no I am going and hung up. We spend most of the day in the ER while they monitored her fever and tried to get it down. They did some chest xrays and found some bronchitis. After a long day we got it down to 101 and they gave us instructions on how to get the fever down and keep it down. Needless to say... I am just SO angry with that doctors office. Today my baby woke up and she had a 103 fever but I followed the ER instructions and have it back down to 100. So glad we went to the hospital.

Replies

• kblpooh
    by kblpooh
    January 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Wow that sounds scary! I would have gone to the ER as well. I hope she feels better soon.
  • lauratupper
    January 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hope she feels better soon! I am sorry they treated it that way! That is way too high not to go to the er!

• AshlynnJadesMom
    January 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    I know!!! She was like ok try taking off her clothes... and go give a a bath. All calm and unconcerned. I was like NO this is way to high I am afraid she is going to have a seizure. She was like well I can't stop you from going.. I was like no you can't and hung up on her. Ugh I almost want to switch offices but I LOVE my pediatrician who happened to be off that day. My husband has her personal number but he wasn't home. I'm sure she would have been more helpful.
  • ZakkarysMom
    January 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    That is awful! Usually nurses talk you into to going to the ER..not talk you out of it. Im sorry they were that way.
  • adwarfstar
    January 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Geez! You definitely did the right thing.

• auntangelofsix
    January 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    O wow
  • expectantmom81
    January 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    This

Quoting kblpooh:

Wow that sounds scary! I would have gone to the ER as well. I hope she feels better soon.

• Dragonmamas
    Ari
    January 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM

You did the right thing saying eff it and taking matter into your own hands. She absolutely did need to be treated asap with a temp of 106. That is extremely dangerous. I'm not one to over react, but I would be changing doctors for that one.

• brebugmom91
    January 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    I would have stripped her down, and put her in a lukewarm bath, and given more motrin. I don't freak over fevers though. I'm glad she's doing better!!!
  • prdmomnarmywife
    January 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    You did the right thing . However next time don't call anyone . If its that high just rush her tithe e.r. I'd have that nurse fired or in some serious trouble !

Babies