Babies

Featured Posts
TessaRae01
Bottle to Sippy
January 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM
My daughter is 7 months old now, and im thinking about introducing sippy cups. Whats the best way to go about it? She is not picky at all about her bottle nipples so im very confident that she will take right too it. But im worried that she wont be able too get the formula out of the sippy type nipple.

Replies

• stepconfused182
    January 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Just put an ounce of water in the sippy cup. Not formula. She needs her nutrition from the formula and won't likely get an adequate amount from a sippy right away. Let her practice with the water. Then after a year when she is ready for milk, you can start putting it in the sippy cup. Or better yet a real cup! Don't stress, she'll get it! :) 

• mishlerdr24
    January 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I used the Nuk sippy cups with the handles for my son. I put 50% water and 50% apple juice in it and just gave it to him to play with in his high chair and just let him explore it by himself for a bit then showed him how to use it and he took to it quite quickly.  

• emkirkley
    January 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

start by getting a soft one, then move to harder ones -- if the hard ones have a valve in them, some of them are hard to get anything out of, you can take the valve out to start with.

• emilyelephant
    January 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM

http://www.target.com/p/nuk-learner-cup-5oz-1pk-pink-dots/-/A-13354900?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|13354900&CPNG=Baby&kpid=13354900&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13354900

I agree with using water instead, maybe even with a tiny bit of juice mixed in, if she has difficulty getting formula out and gets frustrated it might turn her off of the sippy cup completely.

• SewingMamaLele
    January 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Water goes in the sippy, formula in a bottle.   You can put cows milk in the sippy once she's old enough and doesn't need the bottle anymore.

• TessaRae01
    January 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    The sippys that she has dont have valves. They have the handles on the side and are soft nipples. I always thought too get them off a bottle you just put the formula in the sippy.
  • SewingMamaLele
    January 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Quoting TessaRae01:

The sippys that she has dont have valves. They have the handles on the side and are soft nipples. I always thought too get them off a bottle you just put the formula in the sippy.

They still need a bottle for the oral stimulation until at least 12-18 mo.   You can work on weaning from the bottle when she's ready... but she should be off formula by then.

• la_bella_vita
    January 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Water goes in the sippy, formula in a bottle.   You can put cows milk in the sippy once she's old enough and doesn't need the bottle anymore.

this

• squeakers2
    January 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    I never knew that. :-( My DD weaned herself off the bottle at 6 months. She had tried to wean at 3 months, when I was unable to pump any longer (she wouldn't latch), but I was able to get her to take it till 5 months when she would only take the bottle at night. By 6, she refused it all together. By refuse, I mean, she'd throw the bottle across the room and rather starve over having to deal with that thing. We put her formula in a NUK soft spout sippy bc she wouldn't have gotten it any other way.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting TessaRae01:

They still need a bottle for the oral stimulation until at least 12-18 mo.   You can work on weaning from the bottle when she's ready... but she should be off formula by then.

• SewingMamaLele
    January 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Well, if she's the one rejecting it, then she may not have high oral needs (or she's getting her sucking from a paci or her fingers)... I just mean that you shouldn't actively work to take the bottle away so early.   Babies are meant to be nipple fed for at least the first 2 years... they can adapt, and they're all different, but that's just the biological norm.

Quoting squeakers2:

I never knew that. :-( My DD weaned herself off the bottle at 6 months. She had tried to wean at 3 months, when I was unable to pump any longer (she wouldn't latch), but I was able to get her to take it till 5 months when she would only take the bottle at night. By 6, she refused it all together. By refuse, I mean, she'd throw the bottle across the room and rather starve over having to deal with that thing. We put her formula in a NUK soft spout sippy bc she wouldn't have gotten it any other way.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting TessaRae01:

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts