Featured Posts
rHOPEb
Baby Wearing for longer periods of time
by rHOPEb
January 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

How long do you wear your baby?

My Lil Chunker is 6mos.  He's around 21lbs.  I wore him for over 2hrs Saturday and he put a strain on my shoulders.  He was outward-facing in a Mai Tei.  Did I wear him wrong for him to put a strain on me?  Its more convenient to wear him and I enjoy it, but he's so heavy!  What is a good way that will not hurt me.  I have migraines and they come from straining muscles/nerves in my neck.  Thanks!

Replies

• fallenstars
    January 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    Sorry we just use a stroller at that age sorry I'm no help
  • Fightclmembr
    January 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    Facing out is the issue...it's a big no-no of babywearing.

I've found that wrapping distributes the weight better, but with a bigger/older baby a moby won't be very comfortable, a woven wrap is your best bet!
  • expectantmom81
    January 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    I couldn't do it long cause it hurt my back.
  • abra
    by abra
    January 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    It hurt my back too much to wear them for more then an hour at a time. They learn to be content not being held and everyone is happier. :-)
  • louzannalady
    January 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I never outward face. It over stimulates baby, it turns the Mei Tei into a crotch dangler, and is very (as you now know) very uncomfortable for the wear AND baby! You could easily wear him with a Mei Tai on your back, now that he is bigger and supports his own head more. 

http://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

I wore DS2, who was about 20 pounds at four months through the Dallas, SLC and a Washington airport for about twelve hours, with little issue in this homemade Mei Tai. : ) 

• AviannasMama
    January 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    I started wearing my 13 month old DD (23lbs) on my back in the Ergo once I got to be too big to wear up front (I'm expecting baby #2 in March) and it was hurting my back wearing her up front. Once I started wearing her on my back in the Ergo it's helped a ton!
  • erikays
    by erikays
    January 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Allyson wanted to stop around 6 months? She would rather crawl everywhere lol.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts