Babies

Featured Posts
rHOPEb
Baby Wearing for longer periods of time
by rHOPEb
January 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

How long do you wear your baby?

My Lil Chunker is 6mos.  He's around 21lbs.  I wore him for over 2hrs Saturday and he put a strain on my shoulders.  He was outward-facing in a Mai Tei.  Did I wear him wrong for him to put a strain on me?  Its more convenient to wear him and I enjoy it, but he's so heavy!  What is a good way that will not hurt me.  I have migraines and they come from straining muscles/nerves in my neck.  Thanks!

Replies

• fallenstars
    January 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    Sorry we just use a stroller at that age sorry I'm no help
  • Fightclmembr
    January 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    Facing out is the issue...it's a big no-no of babywearing.

I've found that wrapping distributes the weight better, but with a bigger/older baby a moby won't be very comfortable, a woven wrap is your best bet!
  • expectantmom81
    January 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    I couldn't do it long cause it hurt my back.
  • abra
    by abra
    January 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    It hurt my back too much to wear them for more then an hour at a time. They learn to be content not being held and everyone is happier. :-)
  • louzannalady
    January 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I never outward face. It over stimulates baby, it turns the Mei Tei into a crotch dangler, and is very (as you now know) very uncomfortable for the wear AND baby! You could easily wear him with a Mei Tai on your back, now that he is bigger and supports his own head more. 

http://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

I wore DS2, who was about 20 pounds at four months through the Dallas, SLC and a Washington airport for about twelve hours, with little issue in this homemade Mei Tai. : ) 

• AviannasMama
    January 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    I started wearing my 13 month old DD (23lbs) on my back in the Ergo once I got to be too big to wear up front (I'm expecting baby #2 in March) and it was hurting my back wearing her up front. Once I started wearing her on my back in the Ergo it's helped a ton!
  • erikays
    by erikays
    January 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Allyson wanted to stop around 6 months? She would rather crawl everywhere lol.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN