Featured Posts
kayleyrae90
4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)
January 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)

Replies

• MixedCooke
    January 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM

1) The first bout of separation anxiety starts at 3 months--give her something you have worn so she has Mommy scent for comfort.

2) Maybe put a playpen in your room so she can still hear you near

3) Infant massage--start at the feet and rub towards the heart--increases circulation, growth, development, bond and who wouldnt pass out after a full body massage?

4) white noise--buffers outside sound and if you use a fan, it will ciculate the air and reduce the risk of SIDS

5) black out shades/curtains--especially during the day

6) routine, routine, routine

7) having a schedule can also help--my general rule was 2 hours up and then down for a nap.

8) too young for CIO

• Pessema
    by Pessema
    January 21, 2013 at 1:11 AM

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

• MorganTho
    January 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

• Pessema
    by Pessema
    January 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

• MorganTho
    January 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM
    Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

• kayleyrae90
    January 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM
    Thank you thank you thank you! I will try all of that! I just started her on a bedtime routine. I probably should've done that sooner but she is my first baby and I've never done any of this before... Ugh I always feel like I don't know what I'm doing!

Quoting MixedCooke:

1) The first bout of separation anxiety starts at 3 months--give her something you have worn so she has Mommy scent for comfort.

2) Maybe put a playpen in your room so she can still hear you near

3) Infant massage--start at the feet and rub towards the heart--increases circulation, growth, development, bond and who wouldnt pass out after a full body massage?

4) white noise--buffers outside sound and if you use a fan, it will ciculate the air and reduce the risk of SIDS

5) black out shades/curtains--especially during the day

6) routine, routine, routine

7) having a schedule can also help--my general rule was 2 hours up and then down for a nap.

8) too young for CIO

• kayleyrae90
    January 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    Thank you! I do have a pump and I have a pretty good supply of extra milk in my freezer. I will try that!

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

• Pessema
    by Pessema
    January 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

• Marimaru
    January 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

If you want to continue nursing, I don't recommend the bottle route.  It's as likely as anything that your baby may come to prefer the bottle.  Or she may reject the bottle altogether.  If she accepts the bottle, you will have the fight of removing the night time bottle later.

For me, at that young, I see nothing wrong with her being in your bed if you don't mind.  My baby slept with us most nights until recently, she is nearly 6 months old.

• kayleyrae90
    January 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM
    Well she has had a bottle several times because I have mama time every Monday evening. My husband feeds her and puts her to bed while I'm gone.
    I don't sleep very well with her in the bed, and I just don't want her to get too used to it. I love snuggling with her in the mornings though!

Quoting Marimaru:

If you want to continue nursing, I don't recommend the bottle route.  It's as likely as anything that your baby may come to prefer the bottle.  Or she may reject the bottle altogether.  If she accepts the bottle, you will have the fight of removing the night time bottle later.

For me, at that young, I see nothing wrong with her being in your bed if you don't mind.  My baby slept with us most nights until recently, she is nearly 6 months old.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts