Babies

paulenegriff
when to take my baby off the bottle
January 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM
My baby is 8 months old when should I take her off the bottle some people say just give juice in a cup and others said I need to give her milk and anything else I give her should be in the cup and stop the bottle

Replies

• Mrs.Velasquez
    January 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    I'm not one to take things away by a certain age. I follow baby's cue. Ill try it once if she doesn't take to it, I stop and continue what we were doing.

My oldest was 3 1/2 when she stopped drinking from a bottle only for bed, then brushed her teeth. It was her comfort.

She used a pacifier until 3. Some say that's too old, but they are my kids. Nobody knows them like I do.

Follow what u feel is right Hun. Only you can make the choice.

Btw my oldest never took a sippy cup.
  • larissalarie
    January 17, 2013 at 1:04 AM
    If baby will take a cup, there's no reason to keep using a bottle. But if baby is super attached to the bottle, there also no reason to rush her off if it right away. Maybe just start offering a cup, and see how it goes.
  • babygomez
    January 17, 2013 at 2:07 AM

That is up to you.

I start weaning my kids from their bottles around 11 months of age. By 12 months, they're using sippy cups only.

• mandapanda82
    January 17, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    I kept it until a year... Then her bottles transitioned into sippy cups ( born free)
  • mommys2babies
    January 17, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    My son took himself off bottles at 8 months
  • YzmaRocks
    January 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    This :)

Quoting larissalarie:

If baby will take a cup, there's no reason to keep using a bottle. But if baby is super attached to the bottle, there also no reason to rush her off if it right away. Maybe just start offering a cup, and see how it goes.
  • January1964
    January 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

I'm not one to take things away by a certain age. I follow baby's cue. Ill try it once if she doesn't take to it, I stop and continue what we were doing.

My oldest was 3 1/2 when she stopped drinking from a bottle only for bed, then brushed her teeth. It was her comfort.

She used a pacifier until 3. Some say that's too old, but they are my kids. Nobody knows them like I do.

You say your dd had a pacifier until 3. My dd will be 4 in March and is nowhere near giving it up. She has it only for nap and bedtime. It doesn't leave her room. Should I try to get her to give it up at 4? I tried at 3 and it was a disaster. She screamed and cried for six weeks and fell asleep at 11PM, midnight or 1AM.

• Mrs.Velasquez
    January 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    My dd had no signs of giving it up either. However, she kept dropping it and I had to go on a search party looking for the damn thing. One day she dropped it and I told her to look for it. We looked and looked n nothing. So, I told her that's it. I'm not going to look for it anymore or buy you another one. I was seriously fed up with hunting it down. That day was the last time she used it.

The first week was a little rough. She did wake up, but we put her in bed with us. We just reminded her she was a big girl and they didn't use binkeys.

Quoting January1964:

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

You say your dd had a pacifier until 3. My dd will be 4 in March and is nowhere near giving it up. She has it only for nap and bedtime. It doesn't leave her room. Should I try to get her to give it up at 4? I tried at 3 and it was a disaster. She screamed and cried for six weeks and fell asleep at 11PM, midnight or 1AM.

Babies