Babies

Featured Posts
bobcatteacher
Advice Needed: My little one is almost a month old and has...
January 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM

My little one is almost a month old and has had problems with formula since he was born, He couldn.t take Gerber Gentle Start because he spit it up everytime even when given medicine for reflux. The hospital then started him on Smilac Alimentum. Did ok with this for about a week until we began using powder formula and mixing with nursery water. Then the spit ups started again along with diarrhea. Dr. changed formula to Similac Sensitive and gave us several bottles to test use. Little one did really good on this liquid formula; no runny stools and hardly any spit up. Started him on the powder version yesterday and runny stools (they are the consistency of watery oatmeal) has started again. Mixing directions are followed exactly. Is there a difference in the liquid and the powder formula? Dr. office says to change him to the rice based Similac in the green canister, but it seems to be the powder that is the problem. The liquid is so much more expensive to use. What should I do? Help!!!

Replies

• rwebb11
    by rwebb11
    January 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    My lo always spits up, but it isn't projectile and he isn't in any pain. My doctor is not at all worried about the spit up. He is gaining weight fine and everything. There is a difference in the liquid and powdered formula. Imagine buying powered milk for an adult. It tastes different, but also has different properties. As long as your lo is gaining weight, I would not worry about the spit up at all. All babies spit up.
  • mommyhonu
    January 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I'm sorry I'm no help ... here's a bump for you. Any moms have some helpful advice for her?

• sarahsmommy508
    January 17, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    im not much help ,but maybe try a soy formula??
  • JoeyJrsMomma
    January 17, 2013 at 8:09 AM

We used the liquid for both our kids. We started our oldest off on powder, he spit up a ton too. He had other issues as well so we switched him to liquid. There are extra preservatives in the powder so he could have a problem with that and the liquid form has tapioca starch in it that helps thicken it so that could be why you see a difference.

• larissalarie
    January 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    I've never formula fed, but I know that some babies can't handle the powder, there is a difference. I would spend the money to give baby what didn't make them ill if I were formula feeding.

Also have you prepared the powdered formula using the WHO guidelines for proper safe powdered formula use? The ready to feed liquid is sterile, but the powder is not if you aren't preparing it correctly (with boilng water to sterilize the formula), do maybe it's something with the bacteria in the powder baby is having trouble with? It could also be your water supply compared to the formula company's that baby isn't doing well with.
  • ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    January 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    This. It could be the nasty contaminates in the powder making him sick since it are not preparing it properly.

Quoting larissalarie:

I've never formula fed, but I know that some babies can't handle the powder, there is a difference. I would spend the money to give baby what didn't make them ill if I were formula feeding.

Also have you prepared the powdered formula using the WHO guidelines for proper safe powdered formula use? The ready to feed liquid is sterile, but the powder is not if you aren't preparing it correctly (with boilng water to sterilize the formula), do maybe it's something with the bacteria in the powder baby is having trouble with? It could also be your water supply compared to the formula company's that baby isn't doing well with.

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    All of this!

Quoting ceckyl:

This. It could be the nasty contaminates in the powder making him sick since it are not preparing it properly.

Quoting larissalarie:

• mamakate1981
    January 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    I would buy the liquid. I know it costs more,but it will better for your baby. And a little spit up is normal. As long as it isn't a lot, i wouldn't worry about it.my daughter is 2 and always spit up a little after every feeding and she is fine and healthy.
  • B1Bomber
    January 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

My little brother could only handle the ready made formula. The powdered kind and the condensed kind both made him ill. It was very expensive, but you have to do what you have to do.

• MommyO2-6631
    January 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    For 24 hours boil tap water for 2 minutes. Then immediately mix it with the powder. See how he does after that. I always made 24 hours worth of bottles and keot them in the fridge. To reheat put the bottle in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts