LadyYuki
Why dont doctors care?
January 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Hi I'm new to this site but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys about this....

We have struggled to get health insurance, we finally got some for our son but it's like cancer. It would be much better to never have gotten it. We are constantly told "we can't see you because we can't accept more new patients with that insurance" :( 

We finally found a doctor that would take us and we were extremely grateful. Until we met this guy. He was less than helpful. Our son lost three lbs in three weeks of course the doctor was very concerned. A couple weeks ago we had to go to a walk in clinic and got antibiotics for ear infections. He has had diarrhea and is having trouble maintaining weight ( not gaining just trying to stay at the mere 16lbs he is at now...) he was almost 19lbs at one point... :( anyhow so the doctor was concerned about his weight, so are we! So what does he do? What is his pearl of wisdom to share? He handed me a piece of paper with "guidelines on how and what to feed your baby" okay so this paper has things like "birth: feed your baby every 3-5 hours for 20 minutes" .............. "birth: give 1-3 oz of water every 1-3 hours"...........  Etc. Sonia's advice..... Is to feed my baby? :(so the past two month this has been an issue and I have been up worrying at night and offering food at every chance... Obviously I'm not doing good enough? Thanks..... 

Sigh sorry it's long, we cut out all solids but avocado and banana and breastmilkto try and get him to gain weight..... He has 10-12 wet diapers a day and now he has diarrhea in almost every diaper. Any advice on weight gain? Also any advice on how to stop diarrhea ... Please? :(

Replies

• sj3starz
    January 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    How old is your lo?
  • TiffanyMarie80
    January 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

How old? 

It's not uncommon for babies to lose weight when they are ill, and the antibiotics are likely the cause of the diahhrea.

Was he losing or struggling to gain weight before he became ill?

• MommyO2-6631
    January 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    He didn't say anything about the diarrhea?
  • LadyYuki
    January 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

He was 5 months when he lost the weight. Started crawling at six now at seven he got a tooth and was I'll then the ear infections followed by antibiotics. We are over the cold and the antibiotic were all done on Monday ( last dose on Monday that is...) so he is seven and a half months and he did not respond when I asked about the diarrhea .. 99% of my questions were unanswered and ignored :( From the dr that is. He had his back to me the whole appointment :( I called our insurance and they said "no other doctors are accepting patients right now" so we are stuck with him for a bit ;(

• aimesnyc
    January 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    That sucks about the doc. The diarrhea is probably from the antibiotics. Go to your local pharmacy and have them order Biogaia Infant Drops. It's a pro biotic that will help with the effects if the antibiotic. You can also try the BRAT diet - bananas, rice (or rice cereal in this case), apples (applesauce), toast. It will also help with the diarrhea. Also try to give some pedialyte along with breast milk or formula to help replace the fluids he's losing in the diarrhea. Good luck!
  • ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    January 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    Go over to the breastfeeding group! They will help you :)
  • abra
    by abra
    January 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    Just a tip for the future, a walk in clinic is not set up to help serious or long term problems which involve patient history. Walk in clinics are there for the colds, stomach bugs, std testing, common infections and ear aches. That's about it. Doctors DO care for the most part. But you have to go to the right type of doctor to your specific health problem. Just as you can't go to a dentist when you are having a foot problem, you have to go to an actual doctor's office to get real help in this situation. Try a real practice. Sometimes it takes some time to get in, but just keep calling around. When it comes to our kids health, if we have to pay out of pocket to get help, that's what payment plans are for.
  • LadyYuki
    January 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Thanks for the tip :/ the walk in clinic was a last resort because of the constant weight loss we needed someone to tell us if we needed to go to the er. I talked to the insurance company ( who has to ASSIGN a doctor ) and they said no ped or family drs are taking new patients and no one will let you pay out of pocket if you have insurance :/ they just won't take you. So thanks. I am aware his health is the most important thing. It's why we sat in a walk in clinic with screaming kids for over ten hours.

• mamoore83
    January 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    I'm sorry you're going through this. He should be trying to help you, done doctors will act differently to people wo have an insurance which doesn't pay them much. Try probiotics that might help because of the antibiotics mess with the stomach.
  • la_bella_vita
    January 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I'm sorry you are going throught this, here is a bump!