Babies

Featured Posts
ms.momo3
help!! i cant keep up!!
January 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM
My 3 week old is eating 5.5oz per feeding. Is this normal? My milk isnt that much so ive wound up having to supplement. Any suggestions to up milk production?

Replies

• mandapanda82
    January 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Fenugreek- and mothers milk tea- my dd ate that much too at 3 weeks- in the nicu
    Oh and blessed thistle capsules
  • abra
    by abra
    January 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    Your milk supply will adjust to whatever the baby's needs are. Fenugreek is great for upping your supply quickly, though. Make sure you are also staying hydrated and getting enough calories. Breastfeeding burns more calories then just being pregnant. :)
  • KylersMom8-16-7
    January 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    He's being overfed. A baby's tummy is the size of their fist.

How much breastmilk by bottle? Formula? How often are you nursing?

Was baby having at least 6 diapers after day 6?

How are you judging supply?

Weight history birth to now?
  • ms.momo3
    January 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

nursing every 2-3 hours

4oz breast by bottle, 1.5oz formula per feeding

yes he is changed because his diaper is soggy as can be at each feeding

judging supply by him getting fussy and not swallowing after a certain point at breast so i went to pumping and he now takes the 4/1.5 bottles.

born 6lbs, 5lbs 12oz when we left hospital, 2 week check up 7lbs 4oz

• AngryBob
    January 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    You are over feeding him, love. Your supplement is going to kill your supply. Diapers are the ONLY way to correctly judge if baby is getting enough. Babies cry for other reasons besides being hungry.
    Are you in a breast feeding group? There's one I believe called breast feeding moms (you can find it in the search thingy), and they are EXCELLENT. Very knowledgeable. They will help you out. You are definitely producing plenty.
  • shortyali
    January 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    I agree with KylersMom8-16-7. Bf babies are supposed to eat often. Babies have tiny stomachs and bm is digested fast. Also if baby is under 6 weeks its almost a constant growth spurt. They aren't supposed to act satisfied. A fussy baby is good for supply. It triggers your body to make milk. I would stop the formula and just keep baby at breast. Offer side A until he pops off, burp, offer side B until baby pops off, burp and offer side A again.
    Expected weight gain for babies is 4-7 ozs a week and at least 1lb per month from lowest weight. Your baby has put in 2lbs in 2 weeks. Cut the formula and just nurse. Your baby will be fine and you will be able to keep up.

Quoting ms.momo3:

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

nursing every 2-3 hours

judging supply by him getting fussy and not swallowing after a certain point at breast so i went to pumping and he now takes the 4/1.5 bottles.

• kirstina
    January 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    I would get rid of the bottles and just latch him back on the breast its going to be the best thing for your supply and around 3 weeks most babies have a growth spur and eat more often. He will get enough. Trust your body to do what it should. And watch his diapers.
  • KylersMom8-16-7
    January 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    The ONLY way to judge supply is diaper count. You never needed to supplement and by doing so you're hurting your supply.

Weight gain is counted from lowest weight 5.12 to 7.4, that's 1.5 pounds. That's great you expect baby to be at birth weight by 2 weeks. Gain is an AVERAGE of 1 pound per month.

Stop supplements and just nurse. Set out 6 diapers and if those are gone in 24 hours your supply is fine.

You need to trust your body.

Quoting ms.momo3:

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

nursing every 2-3 hours

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts