Babies

JalensMommy2012
Half-A-Birthday to you?
December 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Did anyone celebrate those months in between birth & 1?

My son was a premiee and spent a month in the NICU, the day he finally came home happened to be the day he turned a month old. We went out to dinner to celebrate with some relatives. So every month I try to do something special for him. It usually involves getting a cupcake from Crumbs (because I love them, and this month was the first time he actually tasted it) and I will get him a little gift to mark that milestone like a new book or a little toy or something (nothing big). Well in February he will be turning 6 months and I want to give him a "half-a-birthday" party. Nothing huge. Just a little party celebrating the fact that he's here (my little guy went through so much) and all that he's overcome (everyday he proves those doctors so wrong and it puts a feeling in me that I can't even describe!)

Anyway his dad is saying it will kill the excitement leading up to that big first birthday (and I've been planning that party since I first laid eyes on him lol).

So I wanted others thoughts. Would/Have you ever done a "half-a-birthday" party? Do you think it will kill the excitement about the actual First bday? If you attended a "half-a-birthday" party would you be reluctant to go to the actual bday party 6 months down the line.

Thoughs? Opinions? Please Share

Replies

• iansmommy9
    December 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

We would reminisce about the events leading up to his birth and how we felt the instant we saw and held him each month. We'd also talk about everything he'd learned and accomplished since birth. We never celebrated until his actual birthday.I think I agree with dad. Wait another 6 months and have a huge celebratioin for lo turning one.

• larissalarie
    December 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    No I have not ever and would not ever do that, but I also wouldn't give a 4 month old (preemie!) a cupcake
    Even first birthday parties are for the parents, not the kid, but a half birthday party is too much, IMO.
  • nicole2884
    December 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Sorry i agree with your so on this one. I would do something with just you dad an baby
  • babygomez
    December 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

No, and never would. Plus, we couldn't afford to do that anyway. Lol

I find it odd, sorry. :-/

• KylersMom8-16-7
    December 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    I agree with this...

Quoting larissalarie:

No I have not ever and would not ever do that, but I also wouldn't give a 4 month old (preemie!) a cupcake

Even first birthday parties are for the parents, not the kid, but a half birthday party is too much, IMO.

• JalensMommy2012
    December 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    We already do that daily. Anytime my son reaches another milestone or breaks another barrier or just really defies everything those quack neonatal doctors told us we take pictures, we video, we call folks, we discuss, we reminisce. He's something like a big deal to us lol

Quoting iansmommy9:

We would reminisce about the events leading up to his birth and how we felt the instant we saw and held him each month. We'd also talk about everything he'd learned and accomplished since birth. We never celebrated until his actual birthday.I think I agree with dad. Wait another 6 months and have a huge celebratioin for lo turning one.

• proudMom2634
    December 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

With DD, we also celebrate every month until she is 1 years old. I don't think a half-a-birthday will kill the excitement. But just make sure that the first birthday will be bigger/happier than the half-a-birthday celebration. Goodluck in your party :D

• MommyO2-6631
    December 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    No. We only celebrate birthdays and holidays. Tge jn betweens are recognized and remembered but no parties. Maybe dinner. And my 6 month old (born 38+5) still hasn't had icing. I'm saving that for his first birthday party
  • IAMmomtotrips
    December 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    We don't do half birthday, but as a mom of triplet preemies, I completely understand the desire to celebrate each milestone!

My girls share a birthday, but came home from the NICU on different days, so every year we celebrate their jail break day. We do cup cakes, a special day out with momma and daddy, and a pearl for their pearl necklace. It's always been something special for us!
  • _Mrs.H_
    by _Mrs.H_
    December 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I'm personally not into the whole half birthday thing.

Babies