Babies

JalensMommy2012
Half-A-Birthday to you?
December 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Did anyone celebrate those months in between birth & 1?

My son was a premiee and spent a month in the NICU, the day he finally came home happened to be the day he turned a month old. We went out to dinner to celebrate with some relatives. So every month I try to do something special for him. It usually involves getting a cupcake from Crumbs (because I love them, and this month was the first time he actually tasted it) and I will get him a little gift to mark that milestone like a new book or a little toy or something (nothing big). Well in February he will be turning 6 months and I want to give him a "half-a-birthday" party. Nothing huge. Just a little party celebrating the fact that he's here (my little guy went through so much) and all that he's overcome (everyday he proves those doctors so wrong and it puts a feeling in me that I can't even describe!)

Anyway his dad is saying it will kill the excitement leading up to that big first birthday (and I've been planning that party since I first laid eyes on him lol).

So I wanted others thoughts. Would/Have you ever done a "half-a-birthday" party? Do you think it will kill the excitement about the actual First bday? If you attended a "half-a-birthday" party would you be reluctant to go to the actual bday party 6 months down the line.

Thoughs? Opinions? Please Share

Replies

• JalensMommy2012
    December 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    This is beautiful. I swear I just teared up reading that.

I know how hard it was for us having one baby in the NICU (well I had one DF had two but that's a whole nother story) But triplets, yep I'd be celebrating every single day because that's a blessing! I saw so many not so lucky babies come through there during that month that yes I want to celebrate the blessing that is my guy every chance I get.

I like what your family is doing. We do have our plan to do family photos at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months but nothing like the pearls for the necklace. Gosh I wish boys could do pearls or charms or something :(.

I wish you and your family continued strength and blessings!!!!!!!

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

We don't do half birthday, but as a mom of triplet preemies, I completely understand the desire to celebrate each milestone!

My girls share a birthday, but came home from the NICU on different days, so every year we celebrate their jail break day. We do cup cakes, a special day out with momma and daddy, and a pearl for their pearl necklace. It's always been something special for us!

• Salem2012
    December 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I acknowledge it but dont really celebrate it...

• la_bella_vita
    December 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

For every month, we say happy (insert month) to you and we snap some photos, lol that's about it

We did take a few photos of DD with a balloon for her 6 months but technically those balloons were bought for everyone! lol

It's the first birthday I make a big deal out of

• bbyblueAK
    December 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

i have heard of a half birthday party but i personally would never do one

• IAMmomtotrips
    December 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    Thank you. We are very lucky. We spent 47, 49, and 60 days in the NICU and it was the hardest experience of my life. I look at my kids everyday and just think how lucky we are to have them!

Quoting JalensMommy2012:

This is beautiful. I swear I just teared up reading that.

I know how hard it was for us having one baby in the NICU (well I had one DF had two but that's a whole nother story) But triplets, yep I'd be celebrating every single day because that's a blessing! I saw so many not so lucky babies come through there during that month that yes I want to celebrate the blessing that is my guy every chance I get.

I like what your family is doing. We do have our plan to do family photos at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months but nothing like the pearls for the necklace. Gosh I wish boys could do pearls or charms or something :(.

I wish you and your family continued strength and blessings!!!!!!!

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

We don't do half birthday, but as a mom of triplet preemies, I completely understand the desire to celebrate each milestone!

My girls share a birthday, but came home from the NICU on different days, so every year we celebrate their jail break day. We do cup cakes, a special day out with momma and daddy, and a pearl for their pearl necklace. It's always been something special for us!

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts