Babies

Featured Posts
JalensMommy2012
Half-A-Birthday to you?
December 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Did anyone celebrate those months in between birth & 1?

My son was a premiee and spent a month in the NICU, the day he finally came home happened to be the day he turned a month old. We went out to dinner to celebrate with some relatives. So every month I try to do something special for him. It usually involves getting a cupcake from Crumbs (because I love them, and this month was the first time he actually tasted it) and I will get him a little gift to mark that milestone like a new book or a little toy or something (nothing big). Well in February he will be turning 6 months and I want to give him a "half-a-birthday" party. Nothing huge. Just a little party celebrating the fact that he's here (my little guy went through so much) and all that he's overcome (everyday he proves those doctors so wrong and it puts a feeling in me that I can't even describe!)

Anyway his dad is saying it will kill the excitement leading up to that big first birthday (and I've been planning that party since I first laid eyes on him lol).

So I wanted others thoughts. Would/Have you ever done a "half-a-birthday" party? Do you think it will kill the excitement about the actual First bday? If you attended a "half-a-birthday" party would you be reluctant to go to the actual bday party 6 months down the line.

Thoughs? Opinions? Please Share

Replies

• JalensMommy2012
    December 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    This is beautiful. I swear I just teared up reading that.

I know how hard it was for us having one baby in the NICU (well I had one DF had two but that's a whole nother story) But triplets, yep I'd be celebrating every single day because that's a blessing! I saw so many not so lucky babies come through there during that month that yes I want to celebrate the blessing that is my guy every chance I get.

I like what your family is doing. We do have our plan to do family photos at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months but nothing like the pearls for the necklace. Gosh I wish boys could do pearls or charms or something :(.

I wish you and your family continued strength and blessings!!!!!!!

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

We don't do half birthday, but as a mom of triplet preemies, I completely understand the desire to celebrate each milestone!

My girls share a birthday, but came home from the NICU on different days, so every year we celebrate their jail break day. We do cup cakes, a special day out with momma and daddy, and a pearl for their pearl necklace. It's always been something special for us!

• Salem2012
    December 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I acknowledge it but dont really celebrate it...

• la_bella_vita
    December 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

For every month, we say happy (insert month) to you and we snap some photos, lol that's about it

We did take a few photos of DD with a balloon for her 6 months but technically those balloons were bought for everyone! lol

It's the first birthday I make a big deal out of

• bbyblueAK
    December 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

i have heard of a half birthday party but i personally would never do one

• IAMmomtotrips
    December 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    Thank you. We are very lucky. We spent 47, 49, and 60 days in the NICU and it was the hardest experience of my life. I look at my kids everyday and just think how lucky we are to have them!

Quoting JalensMommy2012:

This is beautiful. I swear I just teared up reading that.

I know how hard it was for us having one baby in the NICU (well I had one DF had two but that's a whole nother story) But triplets, yep I'd be celebrating every single day because that's a blessing! I saw so many not so lucky babies come through there during that month that yes I want to celebrate the blessing that is my guy every chance I get.

I like what your family is doing. We do have our plan to do family photos at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months but nothing like the pearls for the necklace. Gosh I wish boys could do pearls or charms or something :(.

I wish you and your family continued strength and blessings!!!!!!!

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

We don't do half birthday, but as a mom of triplet preemies, I completely understand the desire to celebrate each milestone!

My girls share a birthday, but came home from the NICU on different days, so every year we celebrate their jail break day. We do cup cakes, a special day out with momma and daddy, and a pearl for their pearl necklace. It's always been something special for us!

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN