Babies

Featured Posts
MrsKoolaidPunk
Is my little one ready for solids or cereal?
December 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I was planning on waiting until 6 months to introduce her to rice cereal. She is just about to turn 4 months old, and is getting massive and has been wanting to nurse hourly for the past 3 weeks.. She won't even sleep at night, she just wants to nurse.
Well, last night at a restaurant with some family, she was sitting next to me, while I ate my salad. Everytime I'd lift my fork, she'd open her mouth real wide and follow it into my mouth. My mom insisted that it would be fine to let her try a taste of Ranch dressing, so I did. And she loved it. She opened her mouth right up, swallowed it, and smiled real big. She kept opening her mouth for more. Now she watches, fusses, and opens her mouth for food when I eat. :/
I have no problem nursing her on demand, but if she's not getting enough? Idk..her pedi told me last month I could start introducing rice cereal w/ breast milk, but I just felt she wasn't ready. Advice? 

Replies

• rHOPEb
    by rHOPEb
    December 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Do NOT do cereals!!!!  It has NO nutritional value.  Its like giving your child cardboard.  If you wouldn't eat it then do not feed it to your child.

The rule is if your child can sit up and grab food and feed themselves then they are ready.  If they can 'chew' up the food and not push it out (no tongue thrush).  Try banana or avacado first b/c they are already mushy.

I am doing baby-lead solids with my son (I did not do this with my daughter) and its so much easier!!!!  Just give them bites off your plate.  You should have 'tastes' ONLY after a full nursing never before.  And then offer about a tablespoon of food.  Have fun with different flavors and textures.  Do not force either.  

• MrsKoolaidPunk
    December 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM

So do you think this taste testing is okay at 4 months. Just tsp at a time of soft, well blended stuff? 

Quoting rHOPEb:

Do NOT do cereals!!!!  It has NO nutritional value.  Its like giving your child cardboard.  If you wouldn't eat it then do not feed it to your child.

The rule is if your child can sit up and grab food and feed themselves then they are ready.  If they can 'chew' up the food and not push it out (no tongue thrush).  Try banana or avacado first b/c they are already mushy.

I am doing baby-lead solids with my son (I did not do this with my daughter) and its so much easier!!!!  Just give them bites off your plate.  You should have 'tastes' ONLY after a full nursing never before.  And then offer about a tablespoon of food.  Have fun with different flavors and textures.  Do not force either.  

• addiesmommy1109
    December 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    You're going to get mixed responses here and probably a lot of rude pushy moms. you are the mom you decide what and when you wanna give your kid food :)
  • MrsKoolaidPunk
    December 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I figured I probably will get a lot of rude comments, but I just want to know if it's safe or beneficial in any way. First time mom!

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

You're going to get mixed responses here and probably a lot of rude pushy moms. you are the mom you decide what and when you wanna give your kid food :)

• rHOPEb
    by rHOPEb
    December 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM

All kids are different.  A taste here and there won't hurt.  But as far as doing 'meals' its not necissary.  And when you do decide to do 'meals' make sure you nurse completely before.  

Doing solids too soon can cause a gassy baby or they can become constipated.  So just go slow and take cues from your child.  Mommy knows best.  My son was taking bites from our plate from around 4mos.  He's now 5.5mos and he eats 1-2tablespoons of food at our dinner time almost every night (if he skips a day I don't freak and he doesn't miss it b/c we EBF).  He 'chews' up peas and greenbeans and loves all food you give him.  For my daughter she was around 8mos or later before she had food and I pureed her stuff.....that was a pain and I've sinced learned that if they need it pureed then they aren't ready to eat.  

Oh.....and your lil one nursing all the time is more than likely a growth spurt not the need of needing solid foods.  It will level out soon.......

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

So do you think this taste testing is okay at 4 months. Just tsp at a time of soft, well blended stuff? 

Quoting rHOPEb:

• MrsKoolaidPunk
    December 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Thank you for the advice.:)

Quoting rHOPEb:

All kids are different.  A taste here and there won't hurt.  But as far as doing 'meals' its not necissary.  And when you do decide to do 'meals' make sure you nurse completely before.  

Doing solids too soon can cause a gassy baby or they can become constipated.  So just go slow and take cues from your child.  Mommy knows best.  My son was taking bites from our plate from around 4mos.  He's now 5.5mos and he eats 1-2tablespoons of food at our dinner time almost every night (if he skips a day I don't freak and he doesn't miss it b/c we EBF).  He 'chews' up peas and greenbeans and loves all food you give him.  For my daughter she was around 8mos or later before she had food and I pureed her stuff.....that was a pain and I've sinced learned that if they need it pureed then they aren't ready to eat.  

Oh.....and your lil one nursing all the time is more than likely a growth spurt not the need of needing solid foods.  It will level out soon.......

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

Quoting rHOPEb:

• larissalarie
    December 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    My youngest REALLY REALLY wanted to eat rocks & mulch at the playground when he was 4 months old. Since I'm the mom and knew that that wouldn't be a good thing for him, I said no even though it made him angry.
    There's no difference with solids at 4 months. Babies watch EVERYTHING people do, it's how they learn about the world. They also want to put everything in their mouths, it's the sense they are most acquainted with. It doesn't mean it's time to give a 3 month old food :-)

You know she's getting enough if she has enough diapers (4-5 a day). 4 months is a VERY common age for babies to become miserable little balls of crankiness who wake a ton. This is a developmental thing, not a need solids thing.
  • cabrandy03
    December 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I would wait.  Solids too early can cause very serrious digestive issues and allergies now and later in life.  It's just not worth the risk in my opinion.  It's totally normal for breastfed babies to nurse every hour especially durring a growth spurt.  It dosn't mean babies not getting enough to eat, just that your breastmilk is so perfect it digests very easily.

• YzmaRocks
    December 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    This and solids too early can make night waking even worse. Best to wait, in my opinion, until you know FOR SURE that baby is ready.

Quoting larissalarie:

My youngest REALLY REALLY wanted to eat rocks & mulch at the playground when he was 4 months old. Since I'm the mom and knew that that wouldn't be a good thing for him, I said no even though it made him angry.

There's no difference with solids at 4 months. Babies watch EVERYTHING people do, it's how they learn about the world. They also want to put everything in their mouths, it's the sense they are most acquainted with. It doesn't mean it's time to give a 3 month old food :-)

You know she's getting enough if she has enough diapers (4-5 a day). 4 months is a VERY common age for babies to become miserable little balls of crankiness who wake a ton. This is a developmental thing, not a need solids thing.
  • victoriangavin
    December 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Personally i would say yes, my son is the same age and started doing that around 3 months... my mom told me he sounds like he's ready for food  so he has now been getting baby food for about a week and he's doing great. his poop has finally regulated, he has less gas and he's happier. although each child is different my mom had me on solids by that age and i'm fine. i'm sure most won't agree with it but his pediatrician does and i'm happy with the results

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts