Babies

MissBee7
Should Daddy be waking up with Baby at night also?
December 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

My little boy is 5 months old now and for the past 5 months I've had the luxury of being a stay-at-home-mom.

My son still wakes up about 3-4 times a night (some times more) and, since my husband works 10 hours a day at a mentally exhausting job, I have always gotten up with the baby every single time every single night.

But, I feel like, being a stay-at-home-mom is just as physically and mentally exhausting as his job except it's not just 10 hours a day, it's 24. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's time my Husband starts waking up with the baby from time to time so that I can finally get some rest. I'm wondering if that sounds reasonable? And if so, is there a nonabrasive way to talk to him about it?

Replies

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    December 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    It's a 24 hour job
    Maybe he could take weekends and let you sleep in or something.

Other than that he works hard too. I say let him sleep.
  • militarywife09
    December 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    What dh and I did was he'd get up, bring me baby, and make the bottle, I would then feed her, change her, and get her back to sleep, and he'd lay her back down. But our situation was different because with our oldest I did everything by myself so I wanted him to be more involved with our DD2.
  • abra
    by abra
    December 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    It depends on what else is going on and who is more tired. Frequently I get up with baby at night, but DH watches the kids so I can take a nap later (he is a full time student right now so that works out). But at 5 months old, I wasn't getting up more then twice a night with my babies. I use sleep training so everyone (baby included) can get a healthy nights sleep!
  • erikays
    by erikays
    December 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    My husband did, they are both our children so we felt its only fair :)
  • Summerlion1123
    December 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    My husband let's me sleep in on his days off and always gets up at night if I ask. I don't ask that often, but every now and then I feel like I need a mental break from getting up constantly.
  • bmack2107
    December 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

If it were me, I would get up with him most of the time, and if you are too exhausted, ask him to do the feedings on the nights that he has the next day off. Dads, in my opinion, aren't as good with sleep deprivation as moms are.

• jenesis915
    December 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Mines bf so I never have his wake upside if she's older with a bad dream or something ill tell him since he's the one who had to protect us anyways lol but no I think it's fair he works o take of us I work with baby so he can do that
  • illinoismommy83
    December 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM

If he works and you don't I'd just let him sleep and take a nap during the day. Yeah, your job is hard too but he can't simply lay down and nap for an hour here and there at work and you can.

• jlbelknap35
    December 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    I always woke up on weekdays with my boys and weekends and other days off were he's days. We kinda did a switch off on weekends though. Whoever got up in the middle of the night slept in and who got the full nights rest got up. I myself think it's fair but that's what worked for us. It's never going to be fair either way just letting you know.
  • NoahandEliza
    December 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Dh has always gotten up. I'm a sahm, not a robot. I could nap when the baby does, but then I would never shower and we would live in filth. I'm sorry if he's tired at work, but that's something that was taken into consideration before having babies.

Babies