Babies

Featured Posts
Slayton723
Rice and formula??
December 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM
My daughter is 16 days old and her pedi suggested I use rice because she spits up after every feeding and is CONSTANTLY acting hungry...we tried to breastfeed but she tore up my nipples and wasn't getting enough food so now that she has food on demand any little tinge of hunger she freaks. I'm a first time mom so I really don't know much about this stuff but can too much rice hurt her? I accidentally used too much the first time and she ate it all and passed out but I don't want to hurt her. I thought 2 oz was more than 4-5 tbsp so I added 1 1/2 tbsps of rice but then was told rule is 1 teaspoon per oz....please tell me I didn't screw her up...

ETA I had her checked for a lip and tongue tie and was told she doesn't have one apparently she just sucks really hard? I ended up with ulcer sores on both nipples...her pedi told me to add rice...

Replies

• calvinsmommy18
    December 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    Maybe you should try Enfamil AR formula . It already has the rice starch in it. Personally I don't do rice in a bottle and we do very little rice cereal in general.
  • NowImAMom...
    December 9, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Does she have a lip or tounge tie? That may be why she was having trouble breastfeeding,

If she's spitting up after every feeding, it could be reflux.

Rice ceral in a bottle is an extrememly dangerous chocking hazard.

Babies are supposed to wake up to eat. Among other things, it's a defense against SIDS.

Their bodies are not ready for anything other than breastmilk or formula until 6 months old.

That being said, I doubt you screwed her up. Just don't give her anything except breastmilk or formula from now on. Breastmilk would be better to help her gut (if you google "virgin gut" you'll get some good explainations). And I'm sure you could go back to breastfeeding, if you wanted, just get her checked for a lip or tounge tie.

• Slayton723
    December 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    She is on the enfamil newborn right now but her pedi told me to add gerber rice. Like I said this is my first time...

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Maybe you should try Enfamil AR formula . It already has the rice starch in it. Personally I don't do rice in a bottle and we do very little rice cereal in general.

• Slayton723
    December 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM
    I was told no to both that she was just a hard sucker? She is awake while eating I meant she passed out after eating while I was burping her. We tried breastfeeding but I ended up with ulcer sores on my nipples and I'm also taking anti depressants so formula is better in this situation...but her pedi is the one who suggested rice if she kept spitting the food back up. Its not reflux its she eats so much she spits it back up.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Does she have a lip or tounge tie? That may be why she was having trouble breastfeeding,

Babies are supposed to wake up to eat. Among other things, it's a defense against SIDS.

Their bodies are not ready for anything other than breastmilk or formula until 6 months old.

That being said, I doubt you screwed her up. Just don't give her anything except breastmilk or formula from now on. Breastmilk would be better to help her gut (if you google "virgin gut" you'll get some good explainations). And I'm sure you could go back to breastfeeding, if you wanted, just get her checked for a lip or tounge tie.

• stacefaceninja
    December 9, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I use Gerber Good Start. My 4 month old drinks 6 oz of formula with a tbsp. of rice cereal, and she sleeps from 9pm until 10 am. Every night. The doctor says she's healthy and she's happy, so just relax and enjoy your little one. Just make sure she is content, and not hungry. You'll get the hang of it, I promise. just try not to stress:)

• SewingMamaLele
    December 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Most anti-depressants are perfectly safe while nursing, and it's still better than formula.   If you want to breastfeed, then seek the help of an IBCLC.

For the spit up... is she still wetting diapers?  Is she in pain from the spit up?   Babies spit up... it's what they do.   If she's keeping enough down to stay hydrated and grow (which they almost always are) and she's not in pain, then it's just a laundry issue and adding something like rice cereal is definitely NOT reccomended since it can cause a whole host of other issues down the line.  

It's also been found that while cereal may reduce spit up, it doesn't reduce reflux, the reflux just becomes silent and stays in the esophogus.   Cereal in a bottle can also be aspirated into their lungs and cause infections... it's just all around not a good idea, and definitely not for such a  tiny baby.

I would first find a new ped, decide if you want to breastfeed or not... and then get used to lots of laundry!   :)

Quoting Slayton723:

I was told no to both that she was just a hard sucker? She is awake while eating I meant she passed out after eating while I was burping her. We tried breastfeeding but I ended up with ulcer sores on my nipples and I'm also taking anti depressants so formula is better in this situation...but her pedi is the one who suggested rice if she kept spitting the food back up. Its not reflux its she eats so much she spits it back up.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

• calvinsmommy18
    The enfamil AR is especially for babies that spit up a lot. Its designed with the rice starch already added. I would look into it. Maybe buy some and try it? Also you shouldn't run into the clogging issue with it. do you get WIC? If so they "should" cover it. Idk. In MI they cover it without a drs note.

Quoting Slayton723:

She is on the enfamil newborn right now but her pedi told me to add gerber rice. Like I said this is my first time...

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

• Slayton723
    Thank you! I hope she is happy lol

Quoting stacefaceninja:

I use Gerber Good Start. My 4 month old drinks 6 oz of formula with a tbsp. of rice cereal, and she sleeps from 9pm until 10 am. Every night. The doctor says she's healthy and she's happy, so just relax and enjoy your little one. Just make sure she is content, and not hungry. You'll get the hang of it, I promise. just try not to stress:)

• NowImAMom...
    December 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Well, if you feel formula is better I'm not one to argue, though I do have breastfeeding advice lol

Maybe cut back on how much she gets at a time. Like, if you're giving her 3 oz, try 2.5. It might make her eat more often, but if she eats too much she spits it up, that might help a little.

Quoting Slayton723:

Quoting NowImAMom...:

• SewingMamaLele
    December 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Then don't let her.   Slow, slow, slow nipples... stop to burp every half oz and take a break, offer the paci after she's done with a small bottle and then comfort her in other ways.   Be sure to feed her frequently so that she's not starving come time to eat.  

Quoting Slayton723:

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN