Babies

Featured Posts
mistyjo93
worried about sids
December 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

hello i need some advise, i am going to be having my 2nd  baby in february and with my daughter we started her off right in a crib because she shared a room with me and my husband but with my son coming in february we will need to start him in a bassinet and i need to know if a playpen bassinet is safe for him to sleep in. i am worried about him gettin sids which is a major fear for me as it would be for every mother. please respond your opinion

thanks misty, m

Replies

• larissalarie
    December 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    I'm sure that type of bassinet will be just fine :-) Try to relax, SIDS is very rare and unlikely to happen. Him sleeping in the same room as you is good SIDS defense though. As is breastfeeding, use of a fan, and no bedding in the bassinet.
  • sj3starz
    December 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I agree with the PP. Also, if you use a pacifier it is supposed to help, but it's your preference. Boy's are at a higher (yet still slim) chance of getting SIDS. 

I used a packnplay bassinet for my daughter or had her in her bouncer next to the bed many nights. 

That's what I'm going to do for my next baby due in April too :-)

• MommyO2-6631
    December 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Pack and play bassinets are made for babies to sleep in so they have put all the precautions in place that they can while making it. Cosleeping (having baby in the same room as mom) actually help prevent sids. Just remember no stuffed animals, blankets or anything really soft
  • abra
    by abra
    December 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    I put all my babies in a pack n play for the first year. They make me more comfortable then using a crib. Flatter surface, no slats to get stuck in, etc. They call it SIDS because they don't actually know why the baby died. It is un-diagnosed so they call it Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. You can't "prevent" SIDS, you can just make baby as safe as possible and trust God with the rest. To avoid common suffocation hazards, you can make sure there is nothing else in the sleeping are with baby. No plush surfaces which baby couldn't breath through (part of the reason I don't co sleep...blankets and pillows, mommy and daddy who asleep...it just makes me uncomfortable).

Best of luck!!
  • AnayaFatima
    December 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    I co sleep with my son and it's very satisfying. Babies also feel comfortable and secure sleeping by their mother's side. There is nothing in the world I would give up these feelings for.
  • Snapdragon88
    December 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    It's fine :)
  • -Kney-
    by -Kney-
    December 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    I have a bassinet and pack n play but never use them well pack n play but we check him often..

I had my second son almost 2 weeks ago.. I sleep with him next to me I feel more comfy with him next to me n he sleeps better. I too worry about SIDs
  • first.time.momy
    December 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    My niece started off in a pack n play bassinet and then moved to the bigger part of the pack n play until she was moved to a toddler bed. They are fine for babies to sleep in. Congrats on the baby on the way. :)
  • Firenygirl180
    December 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

My son slept in the pack and play bassinet until he was 2 months old, then we swtiched him to a crib.  As long as you follow the normal guidelines, no stuffed animals in there, no heavy blankets, don't put anything underneath him, baby should be just fine.

• stephwordelman1
    December 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM

i used a bassinet, glider, n swing for dd at first now she is in a pack n play for night time, i have crib for her but no mattress right now for it so she in the pack n play

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts