LarissaLopeman
Update Question about baby,milk and nighttime.
November 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM

So I took Hunter to his doctors on Friday. I told her about Hunter and she said it could be that he stops breathing because he wakes up so many times a night. So she put him on this Asthma med and it seems to be helping. . She wants us to see the ear nose and throat doctor to because he ihas been congested since born and snores every night lol. So that is what we figured out on that. Thank you so much for all the advice.

So my son is almost 13 months and I would say 5 out of 7 nights almost every week he will throw up the milk at night. He will cough and then throw it up. I don't know if that's normal because my other 2 never did that. I don't know if I should call the doctor or stop giving him milk at night or what. If anyone has had this happen could you please help me. Any advice helps. Thank you in advanced.

Replies

• MommyO2-6631
    November 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    I would talk to your pedi.... maybe the milk upsets his tummy. He may need a different kind of milk like almond milk or something. Maybe a toddler formula would work

Quoting LarissaLopeman:

I have and water works. He doesn't throw the water. He is still kinda asleep but won't go back to sleep unless he has milk. He then takes his binky and after a couple minutes he will start coughing and then throw up. He doesn't drink very much milk either. 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Have you tried giving him water or something different? Is he crying or just randomly throws up. My older ds would fight sleep so hard he would throw up.

• LarissaLopeman
    November 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

He does drink milk throughout the day. He drinks like 2 sippy cups of milk before bed and then is fine. He sleeps for a few hours and then wakes up. He crys so I give him his binky then he won't go back to sleep give him the sippy cup. He drinks a little bit takes his binky and then falls asleep. A couple minutes later he will start coughing and then throw up but then fine right after that. We give him a snack a little bit before bed. He eats the normal breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then gets snacks in between that. We eat dinner no later than 7pm. He goes to bed without throwing any milk up it's just when he wakes up during the night is when he does it.

Quoting JoeyJrsMomma:

Does he drink milk at other times of the day with no issues? Is he crying or upset or anything when he gets his evening milk? My oldest always had to have milk before bed, but my youngest never really wanted it. If I give him a little snack he's fine with that. He has applesauce or something and maybe a little bit of milk, but he just doesn't need to eat before bed every night. How much is your son eating during the day? When is he eating dinner? If he has a late dinner, it may be that he is just too full for the milk. 

• LarissaLopeman
    November 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

He drinks it then takes his binky for about 5 minutes then falls asleep. It's when he wakes up at night and I give him some is when he throws it up. He's fine for a couple minutes and then starts coughing and throws it up.

Quoting expectantmom81:

I would either stop the milk at night or try less of it. Does he go to bed right after having it or have time for it to settle? You might need to give it a little earlier.

• LarissaLopeman
    November 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Thank you I will call and ask the doctor and see what she says.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I would talk to your pedi.... maybe the milk upsets his tummy. He may need a different kind of milk like almond milk or something. Maybe a toddler formula would work

Quoting LarissaLopeman:

I have and water works. He doesn't throw the water. He is still kinda asleep but won't go back to sleep unless he has milk. He then takes his binky and after a couple minutes he will start coughing and then throw up. He doesn't drink very much milk either. 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Have you tried giving him water or something different? Is he crying or just randomly throws up. My older ds would fight sleep so hard he would throw up.

• JoeyJrsMomma
    November 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM

At least you know then it's not a milk allergy or something like that since he's drinking it fine all day. It sounds like it might be more of an upset from crying belly since he won't go to sleep without the sippy cup. Maybe you could try something other than milk in the cup at night? When you get upset, it makes your nose run and if you drink milk when you are sick, it can make you have more phlem which makes your belly upset. So maybe it's a specific combination of the being upset and the milk? I hope you find something that works! Good luck!

Quoting LarissaLopeman:

He does drink milk throughout the day. He drinks like 2 sippy cups of milk before bed and then is fine. He sleeps for a few hours and then wakes up. He crys so I give him his binky then he won't go back to sleep give him the sippy cup. He drinks a little bit takes his binky and then falls asleep. A couple minutes later he will start coughing and then throw up but then fine right after that. We give him a snack a little bit before bed. He eats the normal breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then gets snacks in between that. We eat dinner no later than 7pm. He goes to bed without throwing any milk up it's just when he wakes up during the night is when he does it.

Quoting JoeyJrsMomma:

Does he drink milk at other times of the day with no issues? Is he crying or upset or anything when he gets his evening milk? My oldest always had to have milk before bed, but my youngest never really wanted it. If I give him a little snack he's fine with that. He has applesauce or something and maybe a little bit of milk, but he just doesn't need to eat before bed every night. How much is your son eating during the day? When is he eating dinner? If he has a late dinner, it may be that he is just too full for the milk. 

• LilSarahgirl
    November 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Is he drinking fresh milk or from the sippy he had earlier that night? Could the milk have soured?
  • lauratupper
    November 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Id stop giving him milk close to bedtime. And also mention it to his dr.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts