2DsMommy1112
i need advice
November 23, 2012 at 6:41 AM
My daughter will be 5 months on the 4th of Dec. When i first had her she had sever colic. So i had to hold het a lot. And now she wont sit down in anything
She just screams or watches and waits till she sees me and screams. I set her down to go to the bathroom or change my 21 monyh old diaper or give him a bath with in 3-5 min shes so red she looks like her heads gonna pop off. Im a single mom i hv a bf not there father whos a marine and lives on base so only get him 2 days a week for help. Work from home. Im.getting behind do to her need to be held. Im.behind on.house work. Idk what to do.

Replies

• amy1763
    by amy1763
    November 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Can you put her in a sling and carry her?

• Nolanzo
    by Nolanzo
    November 23, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    This.... and OP, welcome to a high-needs baby.

If cant sling her, can you afford a mothers helper maybe a few days per week? If it was just housework I would say no big deal... but the fact that you are attempting to work from home is not good with a baby who refuses to sit happily... and I nannied one of those babies... could not set him down for more than 30 seconds EVER without him getting pissed. It last until he was able to sit up on his own and play with toys. Its a frustrating age for them. They know they want to do fun stuff but don't yet have the motor skills and therefore expect you to be their primary source of entertainment. Some kids simply cannot or will not sit happily in solitude... others are perfectly content to stare off in to space :)

Also a mamas helper would benefit your older toddler as well because it sounds like you're not able to divide your attention fairly at this point.... undersstandable since no one wants to hear baby squawking at being set down but maybe an extra set of hands could take your toddler out to do fun stuff so he gets some undivided attention too.

Hope this helps... and remember, its temporary hang in there!

Quoting amy1763:

• 2DsMommy1112
    November 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    I put my toddler in preschool once his sister came home so he wouldnt get jealous and get attention and learn stuff and socialize. He goes 3.5 hrs a day mon-friday he tries to help with his sister a lot and does his own thing. Idk why recently his schedule is messed up. But he wouldnt let me set him down till he was 8 months and started crawling. But then it was okay because i didnt hv to work just clean and it was just me and him all day. Now that theres 2 under 2 i cant hold her all day like i did him. I mean ive tried johnny jumper jumperoo exsauser bumbo but shed rather be held. And wont sit in any longer then 10 min the swing is the only thing that allows me to do anything but she wont go in there with out a bottle.

Quoting Nolanzo:

If cant sling her, can you afford a mothers helper maybe a few days per week? If it was just housework I would say no big deal... but the fact that you are attempting to work from home is not good with a baby who refuses to sit happily... and I nannied one of those babies... could not set him down for more than 30 seconds EVER without him getting pissed. It last until he was able to sit up on his own and play with toys. Its a frustrating age for them. They know they want to do fun stuff but don't yet have the motor skills and therefore expect you to be their primary source of entertainment. Some kids simply cannot or will not sit happily in solitude... others are perfectly content to stare off in to space :)

Also a mamas helper would benefit your older toddler as well because it sounds like you're not able to divide your attention fairly at this point.... undersstandable since no one wants to hear baby squawking at being set down but maybe an extra set of hands could take your toddler out to do fun stuff so he gets some undivided attention too.

Quoting amy1763:

• amy1763
    by amy1763
    November 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM

My dd 3 is just like this. She is high needs baby. She is almost 15 months now and I just kept thinking once she walks it will be ok. Guess what? LOL she still isnt walking! But this too shall pass...thats all I can say. Love them now, they wont be little for a long time:)

• Nolanzo
    by Nolanzo
    November 23, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    This is a difficult phase, again, as evidenced by your older son who did the same thing :)

As I said, although its temporary, there is not much you can do at this point unless you're prepared to hear some loud protesting and breakdowns... and I sure wouldn't be able to. So... either get a sling or carrier or hire someone to either help with housework or entertain her a few hours a day so u can get something done with both hands free.

Ps.... she's almost six months old so soon you can begin Baby Led Solids in her high chair and most babies are enthralled with this experience... a great learning opportunity for her to grow accustomed to sitting for prolonged periods without getting ticked off. Of course, during eating sessions you MUST be right there every secon watching her like a hawk, so now is not the time to do housework or get involved in other things.... but at least you are showing her that she CAN sit all by herself without the world ending and be quite happy doing it :)

So... is a mothers helper or a sling not an option? I got nothin else lol

Hope this helps and good luck!

Quoting 2DsMommy1112:

I put my toddler in preschool once his sister came home so he wouldnt get jealous and get attention and learn stuff and socialize. He goes 3.5 hrs a day mon-friday he tries to help with his sister a lot and does his own thing. Idk why recently his schedule is messed up. But he wouldnt let me set him down till he was 8 months and started crawling. But then it was okay because i didnt hv to work just clean and it was just me and him all day. Now that theres 2 under 2 i cant hold her all day like i did him. I mean ive tried johnny jumper jumperoo exsauser bumbo but shed rather be held. And wont sit in any longer then 10 min the swing is the only thing that allows me to do anything but she wont go in there with out a bottle.

Quoting Nolanzo:

Quoting amy1763: