Babies

Featured Posts
MakenzisMom0511
Breastfeeding??
November 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM

My baby is 5 days old and she is wanting to feed every hour for about 30-45 min literally she is alwaya on the boob. is this normal or is she not getting enough and thats why she always wants to be on the boob???

Replies

• sikkr
    by sikkr
    November 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    Just cause she spends that long on the boob doesn't mean she is sucking hard enough to milk with every suck. Have you thought of pumping so she fills up on one feeding and give you boobs a rest?
  • wolfybaby
    November 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    its normal :] she likes it. she may be using you as a pacifier some of that time. but it increases milk production. not a bad thing.
  • Laulaulu321
    November 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    This. Comfort nursing is really common...Especially in the beginning.

Quoting wolfybaby:

its normal :] she likes it. she may be using you as a pacifier some of that time. but it increases milk production. not a bad thing.

• mama_l
    by mama_l
    November 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Completely normal!! Baby is building your supply. You are doing great. Congrats on the new one!
  • MrsApple
    November 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It's normal.Just keep on nursing :) Her feedings will get faster with longer breaks in between soon enough.

• MorganTho
    November 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Totally normal! Helps build supply and she's still learning how to nurse. If she has enough wet diapers and seems content between feedings then keep at it. Lay in bed and let her nurse, read a book or put on TV. Sleep when she sleeps and let her nurse. As long as she is actively nursing the whole time then no worries. If you're concerned see an LC but babies don't start getting more efficient at the breast until 8-10 weeks of age.
  • MommyO2-6631
    November 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    Could be a growth spurt or simply could be comfirt nursing. Either way it will normalize soon! Just hang in there and join the breastfeeding group. The only way to ever tell of baby is getting enough is coubting diapers. 4-6 wets and 2 poopies every 24 hours starting at 6 days old. As long as this looks good then baby is getting plenty
  • MorganTho
    November 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    I wouldn't give a bottle until your supply is established at around 6 weeks.

Quoting sikkr:

Just cause she spends that long on the boob doesn't mean she is sucking hard enough to milk with every suck. Have you thought of pumping so she fills up on one feeding and give you boobs a rest?
  • mlucer07
    November 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM

My daughter definitely did that also. At times she was just suckling.  What I am learning as a first time mom is by her being on helps increase your supply. 

• sikkr
    by sikkr
    November 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    I used a nipple shield in the beginning and it helped her get the most out of nursing.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts