Featured Posts
SarineLewis
Can I prevent postpartum depression?
November 16, 2012 at 2:50 AM
I had it with my first. It stunk! I didn't get it treated, just let it run it's course.
I'm due in Feb and am afraid of getting it again. There are a few factors:
I get sick on little sleep
Hormone changes are insane (used to cry every month)
Ds still isn't sleeping through the night (he will be 13 mo)
I don't know anyone in this tiny town
Everything I read online just has rick factors and says to talk to dr. I've talked to my dr and she said some people just get it. Not very helpful. Please help??? I'm really worried I'll get it again.

Replies

• xredstarsx
    November 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM

well, my answer might gross you out depending on the kind of person you are. However, my suggestion is to get your placenta encapsulated. Then you take the pills and it helps with post partum depression, energy and milk supply. I will be doing it when I have my son next month.

• Duquesne
    November 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM
    Placenta encapsulation.

And therapy. Why risk things by not seeking help? You deserve better. Your children deserve a mother who takes care of herself.

Certainly hope you don't suffer the same fate again.
  • Turtledoves
    November 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    A lot of support helps. Getting people to help out so you can get proper sleep and healthy food as well as time for personal hygiene will go a long way. There's many studies that say medical sun lamps help a lot for preventing ppd as it caused your body to chemically produce positive hormones. Breastfeeding also lowers the risk.
  • SarineLewis
    November 16, 2012 at 4:12 AM
    My sister did that. If she didn't live 7 hours away and have to kids that keep her busy I'd ask her to do mine. I get grossed out by blood otherwise I'd do it. ....a friend of mine does have a dehydrator...

Quoting xredstarsx:

well, my answer might gross you out depending on the kind of person you are. However, my suggestion is to get your placenta encapsulated. Then you take the pills and it helps with post partum depression, energy and milk supply. I will be doing it when I have my son next month.

• SarineLewis
    November 16, 2012 at 4:14 AM
    I don't know many people here. The ones I do know I would be comfortable with them helping. Luckily my mom plans on coming. Not sure how long she can stay. Not being able to breastfeed definitely had a lot to do with it last time. I cried every tine I used the pump. Going to read more this time around and not accept help. Gotta figure it out myself!

Quoting Turtledoves:

A lot of support helps. Getting people to help out so you can get proper sleep and healthy food as well as time for personal hygiene will go a long way. There's many studies that say medical sun lamps help a lot for preventing ppd as it caused your body to chemically produce positive hormones. Breastfeeding also lowers the risk.

• SOCO101
    by SOCO101
    November 16, 2012 at 4:17 AM

At the hospital I had dd at they did several follow ups to make sure you weren't suffering with PPD. If you were they'd help you any way possible. I'd get a second opinion. Your doc doesn't sound helpful at all. 

• SarineLewis
    November 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    Maybe I can get a 3 week pp appt along with the 6 week. She usually is helpful with a lot of things. Since I've got 13 weeks left still I'm going to keep asking her about it.

Quoting SOCO101:

At the hospital I had dd at they did several follow ups to make sure you weren't suffering with PPD. If you were they'd help you any way possible. I'd get a second opinion. Your doc doesn't sound helpful at all. 

• tnovak
    by tnovak
    November 16, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Here is what I did, not knowing if it will work for you or not, but worked for me:

1. Lots of fish oil and Vit D

2. exercise- just something to get you moving

3. lots of support!  Have people come over for an hour or 2 so you can rest, etc.  

4.  BE open to getting help if it gets really bad!

I found that just knowing my mom would come on a whim, and having a plan each week really helped me cope.  She came every morning for a couple months- while this is not realistic for a lot of people, if you have the option, it really helps!

• expectantmom81
    November 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    I've never heard of doing that? What exactly is done?

Quoting SarineLewis:

My sister did that. If she didn't live 7 hours away and have to kids that keep her busy I'd ask her to do mine. I get grossed out by blood otherwise I'd do it. ....a friend of mine does have a dehydrator...

Quoting xredstarsx:

• 1L2CMommy
    November 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    The top causes of ppd are lack of sleep, and not eating right. According to my ob, and my aunt who has been an ob nurse for 35 years. I had ppd after my second. It was bad enough that I did talk to a psychiatrist for the summer. It was helpful and I didn't want to or used meds. Just venting to a third party with an objective opinion helped.
    I avoided ppd with my third. I totally believe hormones play a major role, however I think by recognizing your triggers and taking care of yourself you can greatly reduce ppd's effect.
    -Eat right. Even when your not hungry. Eat a little sometime at normal meal times to help keep yourself in a routine.
    -Sleep. Which is impossible with a newborn and a toddler. But sleep whenever they are. Everything else can wait. Dishes, laundry, toys...leave them and sleep.
    -Ask for help and accept it when it's offered. From anyone and everyone offering.
    -Shower and get yourself dresses everyday. Laying around in pj's physically feels good, but it's mentally unhealthy.
    Good luck and congratulations!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts