Simplefancy
Questions for those cosleeper mommas
November 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I don't want to start a cosleeper non cosleeper debate I just want to know from other mommas experience what helped or worked for them in their transition

I am a new mom for a 1 month old precious baby girl. From day one I had her in a basinette and she was fine slept her usual 2-3 hours and wakes up to nurse etc. Well she recently started getting lots of colic at night and even when I get her to sleep as soon as I put her in the basinette she hates it and when she sleeps its only for a hour or 1.5 hours and just gets so upset moans and groans and doesn't seem to get good sleep.

I noticed that she sleeps very soundly and groans and has less gas complains( we also switched bottles) when she's on our bed so I wanted to try a cosleeper bed that is placed in the middle of the bed. I had a close friend of mine who recommended it because she feels its easier and baby sleeps better so I got it and she loves it and sleeps much better even when she's alone on the bed she's comfy in her cosleeper.

Well I of course a few people tell me that she is going to want to sleep in out bed till she's 5 because we're getting her used to it but I know thats also a slight exaggeration. My friends who cosleep seem to successfully transition to a crib around a year or so.

I want to know what advice do you ladies have for that transition? I do want to try to put her in the basinette again maybe next week I just need to get her a better matress see if its a cushion issue because we all know basinettes have the crappiest matresses.

FYI I dont' have a crib yet because of a space issue when we move hopefully before she's 6 months we will get a crib and will want her to sleep in it. And also don't tell me not to use the cosleeper at all she really gets good rest and Im keeping it.  Thank again

Replies

• Lorelai_Nicole
    November 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    You're not supposed to put the co-sleeper in the middle, I don't think.
  • KylersMom8-16-7
    November 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    I used that co-sleeper for my oldest and was able to easily transition him to his crib at 6 months by using it in the crib for a couple weeks.

I co-slept with my second in a boppy pillow because he hated the co-sleeper. He slept on my chest the first month, then he slept next to me in my arms, then I put him next to me with my hand on him, then the boppy with my hand on, and once he started rolling he slept on the mattress next to me. He started in the crib at 6 months, I put it at the foot of my bed and slept upside down so he could see me. At 8 months he started teething (4 teeth at once) so he went back into my bed for another month.

My youngest is 14 months and breastfeeding every 3 hours. We've co-slept since he was born and once he night weans he'll go into his crib. He's always just slept next to me so I can easily nurse at night.
  • MommyO2-6631
    November 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    I slept next to his bed for a couple nights but he was older
  • deccaf
    by deccaf
    November 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    My dd went back and forth. There are still some nights she sleeps better with us. She's 2 now.
  • brittanyx22
    November 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    Don't listen to what other people tell you. Do what works for your family. Yes, the transition may be harder, but you can deal with it then. I never intended on bed sharing, but I get great sleep and so does my daughter. I think I'm gonna start to transition her to a toddler bed after Christmas. It's going to be tough (she'll be 18 months at the end of January) but I'll get through it. I refuse to let her cry it out, so if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. It wouldn't bother me.
  • Simplefancy
    November 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Yes she gets very upset in the basinette I really wanted to have her sleep in it but I think the matress is just a piece of crap and she hates it. Right now this works for us but I just don't want to go through hell to get her back into a basinette or crib

• arigdon4
    November 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    All I will say is cosleeper goes between mommy and a wall...NOT in the middle.

Other than that, I'm no help. We're going to use,a cosleeper as well when ds gets here in a few weeks
  • SaraSnider
    November 16, 2012 at 4:43 AM
    Idk i have a 18month old and a 7week old in my bed. My 18month still needs held to sleep so i have a long road with her spoiled lil butt :)
  • jenuresti5
    November 16, 2012 at 5:32 AM

i am cosleeping right now because my 5 week old sleeps better that way..i agree the matresses in those bassinets cannot be comfortable...not enough cushion..but do whatever works for you and once she gets older its not too hard to put them in their own bed..trust me i did it with all 4 of my other children.

• mrsary
    by mrsary
    November 16, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    I didn't use a co-sleeper when we slept together. I sent my kids to their own beds once they started sleeping too wild to sleep with me, around 18 months. My 2 yr old still climbs in my bed sometimes.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts