Babies

yrfavoritseason
Babies and violent grown up shows.. Advice please!
November 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I have a 5 month old Co-Sleeping little girl Serena (sitting on my lap trying to type at the moment, excuse the typos), she is still nursing so we are keeping her in our room for a while. She now sleeps in her pack-n-play beside our bed and I put her in bed with us during the night. DF and I watch shows at night time that are sometimes violent or scary (ex American Horror Story, Sons of Anarchy) and he doesnt think its a big deal because Serena is sound asleep and doesnt wake up during them.. but I dont know if she can still hear it while sleeping and if it could effect her subconsciously. I dont want her havng nightmares when she gets older because of the TV :(

Am I over-thinking this? Should I start to worry when she gets older? Is anyone else concerned about their babies watching grown up shows? Do you think violent shows could effect a baby while they are asleep? 

Replies

• Nicki1995
    November 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    I wouldnt worry about it. My daughter has been in the room when we watch horror movies and action movies and stuff and she has been just fine. She used to have nightmares, but not because of that. When she was having the nightmares, she was never around horror movies. My daughter is 7 months btw
  • bloomsr
    by bloomsr
    November 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    I remember my parents watching nightmare on elm street when I was a very small kid- not the entire movie but a very specific, scary scene of it.

I don't remember if I was scared when I saw it but I do remember seeing it almost 30 years later...

I would pause the show if dd wakes up and listen to the tv with the volume very low.
  • Lorelai_Nicole
    November 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I think you're overthinking it. All of my kids have slept in bassinets in my room for the first 3 months, and I'm sure they've all been exposed to violent TV shows/movies. So far, no lasting effects. :)

• calvinsmommy18
    November 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM

i wouldnt worry about it until she is older.

• TexanMomOf6
    November 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I didn't do it.    Better safe than sorry.

• abra
    by abra
    November 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    If she is asleep and isn't waking up or stirring much, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't cosleep so it was never a problem for us. I don't let my babies watch tv, though.
  • alandou
    by alandou
    November 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I agree with most of the others here. It doesnt seem to be a problem unless she starts fussing or moving around alot. Then I would cut it off.

• robibuni
    November 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM

As long as she's asleep, don't worry.

• Summerlion1123
    November 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    I watched whatever I wanted when my son was a baby and he's 7 now and just fine. Doing the same now with my baby girl.
  • larissalarie
    November 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    I'm sure it's fine, there's plenty else to worry about!

Babies