Babies

merryvoice
Blisters on Baby's Bottom...*edit*
October 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

My daughter is almost 3 months old and I noticed blisters on her bottom this morning. It first appeared like diaper rash, so I put Desitin on it, thinking nothing more of it. However, as the day progressed, I noticed they looked more and more like blisters rather than diaper rash, and then a third one showed up. The last time I changed her, she screamed bloody murder and I saw that one was bleeding a little.

She is going to the doctor in an hour, but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this? What causes it?

EDIT: Thanks everyone, for your quick responses! It turns out it's a yeast infection. She has thrush, I found out, so she's getting an oral as well as external creme treatment. The doctor says she thinks it's going from her mouth to her bottom. I thought it would be hand, foot and mouth disease because I looked up blisters and that was one of the symptoms. I was told to sanitize her bottles, nipples and pacifiers every day rather than once a week like I was doing, as well as getting the medication.

I appreciate your responses and advice, thanks again! 

Replies

• merryvoice
    October 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Right, I was told the same thing. 

Quoting queen_k0302:

My dd did that. I went 2 wks trying 3 different diaper creams. Took her to the doctor and it was a yeast infection. The doctor said blisters on babies is never normal.

• merryvoice
    October 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM

You were right!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Could be yeast. Doctor will prescribe an antifungal if it is.

• merryvoice
    October 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yes, the doctor said not to use wipes, just a damp cloth. She screamed bloody murder when I changed her right before the doctor's appointment! I felt so bad. 

Quoting emkirkley:

could be yeast or coxsackie virus or a bacterial infection. 

once the skin is broken using baby wipes just hurts it more, just pat with a damp paper towel and let air dry, then coat with whatever your ped tells you to use.

• merryvoice
    October 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Right!

Quoting mommy425906:

Yeast infection is my guess.

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    October 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    I know you found out what it was but my son started potty trying and we got him Card disappear when wet trainers and he got the same thing. Horrible blisters on his butt and we thought It was diaper rash. I lathered diaper rash cream on him for a week and it only got worse. We decided to take him off the pull ups and within 24 hours it was all but gone, an allergic reaction to whatever dye they use in the design.
  • merryvoice
    October 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I thought about that, too but it turns out it was a yeast infection. 

Quoting shanmc329:

My dd got those when she was a baby, turned out to be an allergic reaction to pampers, we switched to luvs and it went away.

• merryvoice
    October 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Yes, someone else mentioned the same thing and that was my second thought, after diaper rash. I figured we might have to change brands but we haven't had to do that yet. 

Quoting AleaKat:

I know you found out what it was but my son started potty trying and we got him Card disappear when wet trainers and he got the same thing. Horrible blisters on his butt and we thought It was diaper rash. I lathered diaper rash cream on him for a week and it only got worse. We decided to take him off the pull ups and within 24 hours it was all but gone, an allergic reaction to whatever dye they use in the design.

Babies