Babies

mommabogart
sleep wars
October 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Alright cafemoms here's my story.  My dd is almost 5 months old.  At night she sleeps in our room.  She started out in a bassinet and is now in a pack-n-play next to my bed.  The battle I am facing is keeping her in "her bed" and not mine.  I feel alot of my issue is when night time rolls around I become lazy and don't make the effort to put her back in her bed... now I think my laziness has created a problem because my dd, when I put her back in her bed after breastfeeding, starts to kick her feet, roll around, talk to herself, etc. until I take her out.  I have laid awake in bed for over an hour listening to this before, thinking oh she'll go to sleep... she doesn't go back to sleep.  AND get this once I can't take it anymore because I want to sleep I'll bring her back into my bed with me and she is out in like 2 seconds!  How do I make it so she is atleast sleeping in her pack and play 90 percent of the night (10 percent for breastfeeding) again?  I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do but I would like to hear other mom's advice becasue I'm hoping it will encourage me to make the change!  = )

Replies

• kirstina
    October 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

If she isnt crying dont take her out. Just let her lay there talk to herself play with her feet and you go to sleep she is secure in a safe place.

• NoahandEliza
    October 9, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Let her go to sleep in your bed and then move her. I'm not a co-sleeper, it's very uncomfortable for me, so that's what I did. Eventually dd got back to being usrd to her crib.
  • Blue_Spiral
    October 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM

It's obviously much easier and more comfortable to co sleep and there is no reason you need to keep her out of your bed. 

I would encourage you to do what feels natural, not what you think others expect you to do because of our weird cultural ideals.

• abra
    by abra
    October 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

this is what I do. If their playing is keeping me awake, I just move them to another room where I could still hear them if something was wrong, but not listen to them move around and coo. 

Quoting kirstina:

If she isnt crying dont take her out. Just let her lay there talk to herself play with her feet and you go to sleep she is secure in a safe place.

• louzannalady
    October 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I would keep her in bed with me, because that is the safest place for her physically, emotionally, and mentally. : ) This time is just so short and they need so much at this time. I regret not giving more to my oldest. I do not regret giving my all with my youngest. 

• emkirkley
    October 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM

sleep with her sheet for a couple days so it smells like she's next to you, then put it on the pack n play, you might also get an actual mattress that goes in it (we did for our youngest)

• expectantmom81
    October 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    This. She just has to learn to fall asleep on her own :)

Quoting kirstina:

• mommabogart
    October 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

thanks for all of the answers I will have to try some of your suggestions!

Babies