Babies

BrookeLynn93
New mom issues
October 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Im a mother of a one month old who is very active and has barely been sleeping at night or during the day. She cries constantly when she is tired but does not fall asleep. My mom suggests giving her water mixed with a spoonful of juice during the day or a bottle with rice mixed in or small spoons of mashed bananas that are practically liquid.
It makes me feel awkward when she gives her anything that isn't formula because I have read that anything more than formula is bad for the baby because she is so young and can cause irritability, diarrhea, and gas because she cannot digest it yet.
What do non-first time moms think and what did you do for a baby who acted like they had colic but were fine? Bc until mom started giving her juice and rice and such she didn't act this way, but bc I am a new mom who "reads too many baby books and doesn't know what she is doing" mom won't listen to me when I ask her not to give her anything but formula bc her family says she needs more and she says that her children (including me) always had more when we were little. So what do the BTDT (been there done that) moms think?

Replies

• expectantmom81
    October 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    You don't want to give anything else. It is possible that it's acid reflux. My oldest had it real bad and once we figured it out and got the right formula he was do much better. He would cry all the time and almost never sleep before.
  • suebee3
    by suebee3
    October 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

When my mother-in-law would try to tell me how to do things that had to with food or health of baby I would ask her to come to the babies next doctors appointment and tell her we can ask the doctor together about the stuff other than formula.  This way you have the doctor to back you up.  My doctor gives guidelines with each well check what new things can be given to baby and at what age.  

Babies