bmack2107
I would like to know about cloth diapers.
April 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I honestly never knew that people still used cloth diapers until I got pregnant and started using this site. I am 26 weeks, and I am just now starting to think about using them. So tell me, cloth mama's... Other than them being cheaper than buying disposables all the time... what are some advantages to cloth diapering? It seems like it would just be a big mess a lot of the time (with diarreah and such) do you pre-rinse them before you wash them? Tell me some facts about them... what I should know... Like I said... this is a COMPLETELY foreign concept to me... I have NEVER seen anyone use them. Thank you in advance =)

Replies

• bmack2107
    April 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM

BUMP!

• cowgirlsmommy
    April 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Cheaper (as long as you don't get addicted to buying cute ones), better for the environment, fewer rashes (if any at all), no late night store runs, no leaks, no looking for a trash can, less chemicals, and they're just cute!!!

They hold in messy poops better than any disposable ever will.  I do not spray them off or anything special.  Dirty ones go into a simple diaper pail with a pail liner in it until wash day.  They all get dumped in the washer.  Hot wash with no detergent, hot wash with diaper safe detergent, and an extra rinse.  

• bmack2107
    April 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM

so you put them in there poop and all? (I know that sounds like a dumb question... =\ sorry

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

Cheaper (as long as you don't get addicted to buying cute ones), better for the environment, fewer rashes (if any at all), no late night store runs, no leaks, no looking for a trash can, less chemicals, and they're just cute!!!

They hold in messy poops better than any disposable ever will.  I do not spray them off or anything special.  Dirty ones go into a simple diaper pail with a pail liner in it until wash day.  They all get dumped in the washer.  Hot wash with no detergent, hot wash with diaper safe detergent, and an extra rinse.  

• Yuriko_chan
    April 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Feel free to pm me because we use cloth! Also cities with cloth booties is a great group!
  • cowgirlsmommy
    April 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Quoting bmack2107:

so you put them in there poop and all? (I know that sounds like a dumb question... =\ sorry

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

When they're infants with that lovely liquid poo, yes.  When they're a little older, you just hold the diaper over the toilet and the poop falls right off.  Then it goes in the pail.  It's not a dumb question btw.  I was totally lost when I started out.  The group Cuties With Cloth Booties on here helped me figure everything out.

• milly88
    by milly88
    April 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM

i am actually looking into a service that will give me 80 diapers a week for 20 dollars each week. they will deliver your new diapers when they pick up the old ones

• YzmaRocks
    April 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    If you are breastfeeding exclusively, all you do is toss the diapers into the pail. BF poop is water soluble so no worries. Once you add in solids (which I don't until 8 months or so - this has the added perk of not having to deal with icky diapers, lol) you simply dump the poop in the toilet. And actually, you are supposed to dump the poop in the toilet with disposables because it is illegal to put human waste in the trash. Most people ignore that though.

I like using cloth. Much cuter, healthier for baby, cheaper (I am on child #3 with many of the same diapers), and I have had fewer blowouts with cloth than sposies.

Quoting bmack2107:

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

• LaughterHugs
    April 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM

What is a Prefold Cloth Diaper?

Rectangular shaped flat cloth diaper with an absorbent pad already sewn in.  Come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.  Need to be folded to fit in a waterproof diaper cover.

Pros

• Most inexpensive cloth diapering option 
    • Fastest drying     
    • No need for as many different sizes 
    • Versatile - can be used for other functions such as inserts/doublers, burp clothes, rags, etc.

Cons

What is a Fitted Diaper?  

Tailor fitted diaper with Velcro or snap closures so cloth diaper fits closely to baby.  Requires no folding and uses a waterproof diaper cover. 

Pros

• Still Convenient yet less expensive than All In One diaper
    • Easy to use 
    • Very absorbent - great when used as a nighttime cloth diaper

Cons

What is an All-In-One (AIO) Diaper?

All in one diapers have an inner absorbent layer attached to an outer waterproof layer with adjustable closures (either Velcro┬« or snaps).  All-in-one diapers are just like disposable diapers except you wash them!

Pros

• Most convenient
    • Easiest to use
    • Most like disposables diapers (trimmest fit on baby's butt)

Cons

• One of the most expensive options
    • Usually takes the longest to dry (drying time varies greatly between brands)

If you like the sound of an AIO but worry about the longer drying and cleaning times, you may want to try an AI2. These diapers are All in Ones that allow for the removal of the inner soaker material, the part that absorbs. This makes cleaning and drying much faster. When the two separate parts are paired, they form one diaper.

Advantages of AI2 Cloth Diapers:

• No separate cover required
    • Great for transitioning from disposables to cloth - easy to use
    • Available in lots of cute colors and prints
    • You can always get a new soaker or doubler if the original needs to be replaced

Disadvantages of AI2 Cloth Diapers:

• Keeping soakers or doublers together with the rest of the diaper
    • Usually more expensive than other cloth diapering methods

What is a Pocket Diaper?

A diaper cover that has an opening for a folded Chinese prefold diaper or specially designed insert to be placed into the opening.  This is a two part cloth diapering system.  

Pros

• Fast drying    
    • Gives a very trim fit  
    • Most like an all-in-one diaper making it convenient

Cons

• Pocket diaper cover needs to be washed after every use 
    • Requires simple folding of Chinese prefold diaper before inserting into pocket diaper cover unless you use a specially designed insert
    • Need to "stuff" each pocket diaper cover with Chinese prefold diaper or specially designed insert

What is a diaper cover?

A diaper cover provides the waterproof layer needed to keep your child's clothing dry when using cloth diapers. A Diaper cover should be used with fitted diapers, or foldable diapers like Chinese prefolds.

pull-on style diaper cover may be used when the cloth diaper underneath also has a closure. If you purchase prefolds, you will need to also purchase a Snappi or pins to make a pull-on style diaper cover effective. A diaper cover that closes with hook & loop style fasteners (like Cheeky Diapers) will eliminate the need for pins/fasteners when using foldable diapers.

How many covers do I need?
    I recommend purchasing 6-8 diaper covers for a newborn, 4-6 diaper covers for an older baby and 2-3 diaper covers for a toddler.

prefolds and cheeky covers (NB petting big sisters cover b/c it fascinates her)

EBB fitteds on 2yr old and 2 week old

PLUMP AI2

EBB AI2 on my 2 month old NB

same EBB AI2 on my 2 year old

Rumpsack pocket

FBC pocket

I DID do cloth when we lived in apt without our own washer and dryer, for the first year of my eldest DDs life, and needed to do it as inexpensively as possible :D

We simply didn't have the 'fun' CDs (fitteds for me :D) we did the boring/cheap prefolds and covers.

Here's the skinny: Buy 3 proraps in infant size(18.75 from here) and then buy 24 prefolds in infant size (30$ from here) and buy 24 prefolds in premium size (48$ from here) and buy 3 one-sized (10-35lbs) diaper covers (45$ from here).

baby in a prefold

You can now successfully CD your baby from infant through toddlerhood potty time without buying anything else, other then detergent for $141.75 (which is the equivilent of a little over 4 months of a projected 6$ a week disposible diapering using the store brand diapers) (this is more expensive then you HAVE to do, this is just the places I bought from, you can shop around and find the prefolds cheaper and the covers used cheaper if you need to. You could also choose different cover types then cheeky covers, I simply prefer one-sized b/c they break down to costing less then 5$ per size). If you wanted to you could buy snappis to make the prefolds stay on easier once the baby is crawling, but it's all your choice, how much do you have to spend etc :D

Hope this helps

Our family uses cloth diapers. We tried all different kinds of 'sposies back when my oldest girl  was younger, all leaked and or gave her a terrible rash. Here's my quickie comparison chart (based on my personal diaper consumption)

20$ for a box of 80 diapers New Born size (lasted me about a week) x 4 weeks = 80$ for the first month of one baby

40$ for a box of 180 diapers sizes 1-5 (lasted me about 4 weeks - assuming i stretched it between changes) x 3 = 120$ (40$ a month) for months 2-4 of one baby

so that's 200$ for the first 4 months of diapering my baby (firstborn)

I then did a diaper service full time for the next 4 months, it cost me about 220$  (55$ a month)

I got tired of throwing away money and made the switch (slowly) while i was doing the cloth service and bought one or two diapers per week and spent about 300$ total on cloth diapers (prefolds, fitteds and pockets, with an AIO or two)

I now have 2 babies (one born 2008 and one born 2010) and CDed both of them still using the same diapers I originally bought when my eldest was 4 months old. My big girl is no longer in diapers (potty trained/learned on her own at 32 months), but my littler one is still using all her sisters 'old' diapers :)  I can resell the diapers once I'm done with having babies for about half retail (5-18$ a piece) (depending on how they hold up)

to wrap it all up: 300$ total for cloth diapering (2 babies, one for 32 months, one for 14 months so far) , or (projected) 'sposie diapering baby 1 for 32 months: $1240, plus (projected) 'sposie diapering baby 2 for 14 months: $600.

$300 vs $1840, and I no longer need (but prolly will if they get a cute design i want) to buy diapers for any future babies (even for those who only have/plan to have one baby, who is potty-trained by 18 months -a generic number I hear tossed around in baby groups as a desirable 'train-by' date- the comparison could be extrapolated to spending $300 vs $760, and that's assuming I force the training on an arbitrary time-table and doesn't take into accounting the cost of training pants or any extra paraphenalia)

For me the choice was easy :) i'm a cheapskate :)

I buy my cloth diapers from different mamas on cafemom actually :) most of the prefolds you can find in stores suck terribly and turn people off of cloth b/c they think ALL cloth is like (gerber) the junk available in stores (which is only burp cloth material in my mind)

there are a few brick-and-morter stores (i personally only have one near me) you can find 'good' cloth diapers at (but the commercial brands of cloth never worked for me, plus many are sized (meaning you have to buy different diapers as the baby is 10-20lb, 20-30lbs, etc))

I know the mamas i buy from which make me feel safer about buying from them

i use cheeky diapers for covers (all hers are one-sized)

i use rumpsacks or banana mannas for pockets (multi-sized or one-sized)

i use ellabella bottoms,  for fitteds (all hers are one-sized)

i use fluffy butt club (FBC) for pockets (one sized, or multi-sized)

i use PLUMP diapers for my AI2s (all one-sized, and they make up most of my stash now, b/c baby 2 is pretty chunky legged)

i also have bought prefolds from a diaper service i used before i knew what i know now :) (if you ARE buying prefolds and cover -which is the cheapest way to cloth diaper- make sure the prefolds you buy are DSQ: diaper service quality....means they'll be thicker and less likely to tear or shred quickly)

i buy my detergent for the diapers from lil outlaws, she has the cheapest price around and such amazing scents :) i love that my diapers smell like a candy cane :D also, her pail pardner is to-die-for and make mamas wonder how my diaper pails smelling so fabulous :D

if you need anymore sites, i know many for cheap diapers, i just prefer mine by these sellers after shopping around for a few months.....but everyone's different!

• bmack2107
    April 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Yes, I will be EBF, and I do plan on doing solids when she is ready to eat them. This is my first baby, so everything will be very new to me. 

Quoting YzmaRocks:

If you are breastfeeding exclusively, all you do is toss the diapers into the pail. BF poop is water soluble so no worries. Once you add in solids (which I don't until 8 months or so - this has the added perk of not having to deal with icky diapers, lol) you simply dump the poop in the toilet. And actually, you are supposed to dump the poop in the toilet with disposables because it is illegal to put human waste in the trash. Most people ignore that though.

I like using cloth. Much cuter, healthier for baby, cheaper (I am on child #3 with many of the same diapers), and I have had fewer blowouts with cloth than sposies.

Quoting bmack2107:

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

• cowgirls10181
    April 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    I spray the food poo off, with a diaper sprayer, or dunk n flush, but breast feed poo is okay to just toss in. We dont do cloth 100% of the time, night we use sposies, n day trips. I buy one pack of diapers every 2 or 3 months.

Currently we use best bottoms, i love their ease of usage. I have used fitteds prefolds, and pockets. My experience with pocket diapers is if you dont like to put a pillow in a pillow case 24+ times then pocket diapers are not for you. Which is why i chose best bottoms for our go to diaper.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts