Advice for Moms

Featured Posts
Cafe GroupAdmin
Mom Confessions: I Lie and Say I'm "Working" to Avoid Playing
September 4, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Mom Confessions: I Lie and Say I'm "Working" to Avoid Playing

September 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM by Cafe Sheri from The Daily buzz

mom confessionsIt's time for a Mom Confession — because, let's face it, we're real mothers and sometimes it doesn't work the way the parenting books say it should.

This Week's Confession:

I lie and say I'm "working" to avoid playing.

Sometimes I lie to my 5-year old when he wants me to play and tell him I have to "work" on my laptop -- taylormom82

We all have secrets and opinions — so thanks to this brave mom for sharing her honest thoughts, and thank you for keeping this conversation non-judgemental!

Question: When your child wants to play, do you ever lie and say you're "working" or "very busy" when you're really not.
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 7% - Of course, how else would I have any fun?
  2. 48% - Sometimes, I do that.
  3. 25% - No, I tell the truth, that it's "mommy's time."
  4. 11% - No, I just get up and go play.
  5. 7% - Other (write in below)

Replies

• whoda_thunk
    September 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Not yet.  My daughter is only going on 3 months. lol

• rileysmommy811
    September 4, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I've never lied to her.

I've told her "Mommy's doing something"

And if I say that, I am.  It may not be important, whatever I'm doing-but the point is I'm doing it.

• HarleysMommy235
    September 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I don't know that I would consider it lying. I've told her what Im doing in ways that she understands. Like if Im sending important emails or something, I will tell her that Im doing my school work. She relates the computer to me doing school work. That way, I don't have to explain it to her. I've done stuff like that when I'm having my time and can't or don't want to play, but she's okay with it. It's far and few when it happens. LOL

• jennifermccollo
    September 4, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I sell things over the internet and so my son knows that most of the time when I am using the computer that I am working. Sometimes though, like when I just need time to think, or what ever I will tell him I am working so that I dont have to play, and be loud. I feel bad for doing it but he knows that when mommy works on the computer, that we get our play money. Meaning the money I get is for us to go out and have fun.

• Se7enTh1rt3en
    September 5, 2009 at 12:35 AM

On days that are particularly busy and I'm just too tired to play with my kids, yeah - I'll tell them I'm busy.  But unless I really don't have the energy to play with my kids, I'll get down on the floor and start playing with them - nothing beats seeing my kids smile and hearing them laugh, and knowing that I'm the one that made them do that!

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts