Advice for Moms

bajjabcab86
potty training
March 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM
What is the best way to go about this I have a 19 month daughter, is it too early can I start what is the best way to know.  What can I do t ohelp my child if she is ready to potty train?  She has days where she will sit on the potty and actually go but ohter days she just sits there and laughs at me what should I do?  Everyone says not to pressure her but I am so unsure of what to do this is my first child and I dont have much help or people to ask for advice.  HELP PLEASE!!  Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Replies

• Jesstickuh
    March 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM
    Usually when they show signs is when you start potty training (telling you they have to go, taking off there diapers, etc) She isn't to young to learn but you do not want to pressure her on it because it takes time to learn, you could take a few days and sit her on the toilet every 15-30 minutes and let her pee pee or poo if she has to, if she doesn't that is okay. Goodluck, I am trying to potty train my son also, he is 2
  • jchlc
    by jchlc
    March 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM
    You can encourage. You cannot make them potty train. If she shows interest, then show interest back and encourage her.
    I used to put my dau's play table with some toys in front of her while she sat on the potty trying to go poo. It worked! That, or I gave (and still do if they are struggling) books to look at.
    You can use a reward system. Some people use candy. I tried little cheap toys (btw, it didnt work for me!).
    Just dont push the potty training on her. My oldest was interested for a long time, then one day, she decided she was potty trained.
  • semiwife
    March 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM
    Hi, well for me i have been tring  new ways  like let them pick the potty seat and underwear then after acouple of days they want something different so i would put cereal  like marshmellow or that O'S then i would get food coloring  like blue when they pee they see the color change to green  but any color will do even let the child  try to make  a color or you can use this frosting  to make  art in the toliet  or u can use that bath foam, u may think its these ideas are nutz  but they worked i even had the diaper off and put the potty chair any place my child was at  i hope this helps you and good luck
  • VIVIANA136
    March 11, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    when i started potty trainning for my first child was so hard but with my second child i was very easy since she had the example of oldest.
    my oldest child used to ask the youngest "do you wanna go with me to the bathroom?
    my youngest used to sit on her potty and my oldest on the regular toilet  explaining every step such how to clean her self and so on....
    i really appreciate my oldest child for being so helpfull, i do not think tha i wouldn`t be able to do it without her.
  • rubawaythedirt
    March 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM
    Hey! I am in the same boat as you. My daughter is 18 months old and yes I am potty training her. Thats when my doctor said is a good age. HERE IT GOES.....Everybody does it their own way b/c every child is different, but here's a few hopefully helpful tips that I am learning with you:

1. Exactly...Don't force her to go. It should not be an unpleasant experience. Let her go when she wants to or is comfortable. (my daughter goes sometimes, but most of the time she gets mad at me and doesn't want to be on the potty, so I let her down. She knows the word potty though and she runs to it when I say the word "potty"

2. Everytime YOU go "potty" take her with you and put her on the "potty" too. Make sure she hears you "tinkle" and get excited and say ooh mommy's being a good girl. clap your hands and smile.

3. When you flush wave bye-bye to the "pee-pee" and clap your hands (this is how we make it as pleasant as we can for them, and very positive so it is encouraging).

4. If she goes clap your hands and rub her back and say "WOW! GOOD GIRL!" and say your child's name. If it makes them happy, let them help you flush and wave bye-bye. (my daughter gets all proud and she loves the flush too)

5. I have been taking my daughter with me everytime I go and other than that..EVERY HOUR. I try not to say thye word "potty" before she's actually on the potty now b/c today all day everytime i would say "ok hunny its time to go potty" we would go into the bathroom and her diaper would be VERY warm and fresh so when I said potty she actually went potty. i know some people have taken their child every 45 minutes.

6. I found that when i turned the bath water on while she gets ready for her bath is when I can get her to actually pee on the potty.

7. I read on cafe mom that some people say the real underwear with the plastic coverings work miracles...not sure Im ready to try that.

I hope this helps and I would like some tips too if any one has any.

Advice for Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts