Featured Posts
ANDR3WSMAMA143
need advice on my 15 week old
January 8, 2008 at 11:42 PM
my son is 3 months and 3 weeks and he hates tummy time and i want him to learn to rollover but he fusses when i put him on his tummy, it might be because as a smaller infant i never did tummy time with him. shouldnt he know how to roll over by now?

and how can i get him to play on his tummy?
i feel like hes going to be behind or never learn to crawl when he should.

Replies

• Sadie85
    by Sadie85
    January 9, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    He is still VERY young.. and if he hasn't had tummy time before how is he supposed to know how to roll over? lol Sorry but they have to have lots of practice before they figure anything out. I know that each child develops at a different pace... their OWN pace. Some babies might roll over at 4 months and be crawling at 6 months. Others will wait until 6 months to roll over and not crawl until 8 or 9 months. I know with my first daughter she was walking right after she turned a year old, but my second was 10 months old and my third was 9 months old. They're all different and as long as he isn't like a year old and not crawling then you're fine. Just be patient. They are only babies for a little while! :)
  • taytay29
    January 9, 2008 at 10:20 AM
    I'm in the same situation! Its so frustrating when it's time for tummy time.. My baby is 4 months and hates tummy time?? She is sooo close to rolling over from her belly to back, but she cant figure out what to do with her arm and head.  Also, I would really like for her to learn to sleep in different positions because we are dealing with the flat head syndrom and we are going to see a plastic surgeon tomorrow to see what we can do about her head... Just be patient he will do it someday and remember your not alone..I'm in the same situation.

Connie
  • callykat20
    January 9, 2008 at 11:58 AM
    My son was almost 5 months when he first rolled over so don't fret, your son will get there.  I do daycare in my home, and one child came in and was almost 10months old before he even started crawling.  I was astonished when his mother told me that he was not crawling and she didn't know why.  We'd set him on the floor and he would just scream and cry.  So I let him sit there and cry.  I would tell him that if he wanted to be moved, he'd have to learn to do it himself.  He sat and cried for 2 weeks and finally decided that he was going to crawl.  He was walking by his 1st birthday so I'm very proud that I was able to help him gain his independence.  The key is to just be patient, give him lots of encouragement, and do not stress about it.  If your son is anything like mine, he'll only do it when he's ready, and on his own terms.  :-)
  • Cassy23
    by Cassy23
    January 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    I know it dosent seem like it the first time around but it will come soon, and please enjoy him not rolling, once they get going it is a totally different story, though I was just like you and wanting them to reach the next step and worrying that they wont and what did I do wrong because they should have been doing that by now right????? lol every mom knows how you feeland we all do the same thing the first time around. One day he wil just get it and he may never like tummy time and that is ok. No worries, you are a great mommy for being concerned about his development, but at less than 4 mo any milestones (gross motor) not met yet  is totally normal. He WILL crawl!
    good luck!!
  • mommyat37
    January 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I know how you feel. I am still scared that our daughter is behind in the developemental stage. Our daughter was born 5 weeks early. But she is doing fine by her doctors standards. I had the same problem our daughter hated tummy time. We even went out and bought a boppy designed for tummy time. He will proceed at his own pace. Just be patience and let him develop at his own pace.

• Babtastic
    January 9, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    My goodness how we fret about these developmental stages!  I was in the same boat as you.  My daughter HATED tummy time.  I made sure I did it daily for short increments of time and she finally rolled over at about 5 months.  She didnt' start crawling until almost 1 year old.  She would "scoot" on her butt, but refused to crawl.  She's now 15 months and has yet to take her first real step.  She's close though.  I thought that she was behind developmentally, but I realized she's really advanced in other areas like speech and cognitive skills.  So, don't panic.  I like the first mom's response....lots of love and your baby will get there!  All my best!
  • emo_mommy07
    January 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM
    THANK YOU for asking this question! :) I'm new to this place and I was going to ask that question-and Now I know the answer! Avery hates tummy time too. She just fusses. So, Thanks again for asking!
  • ANDR3WSMAMA143
    January 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM
    thankyou so much for the advice.
    i guess since he is my first child i worry about everything-times a million.
    im not even exaggerating!
    i guess it just seems like most babies tend to do things at a certain time and point in life.
    i just dont want him to be behind.
    but hes smart in alot of other ways already so im sure he will figure it out.
    thanks so much for the help!
  • emariec89
    January 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM

There are toys specifically for tummy time. Similar to play mats but alot smaller , you place them under their belly and they can reach out for toys and play. Maybe this will help.

Heres a link to one on toysrus.com

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3612692&CAWELAID=391463755&pla=plat&cagpspn=pla

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    January 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Start by putting him on the floor, with a rolled up dish  towel under his armpits to bolster his head up a bit. Some babies hate having their face in the carpet and that can help. Then,get down on the floor and put your face right in his, about a foot away and talk to him and try to distract him. Smile, make faces, shake a toy for him, hold up a mirror, activate a toy with lights and sound, sing, whatever. See if you can go one minute, then pick him up.Do this three or four times per day, every day and make tummy time part of yoour routine. Over time, increase the time you spend until it's at least about 20 minutes three times per day but you may still need to get down there with him to entertain him. When you see he can push up from the towel then you can get rid of it and have regular tummy time.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts